Question Replacing Failing Modem/Router Combo

Sep 25, 2023
My older Arris SBG10 is failing and now I am have replaced the modem potion and looking for a new router.

I am looking for NON-MESH WIFI router, that can support both 2.4Gz and 5.0Ghz devices that I can do remote work especially using apps such as Webex and Jabber(discontinued).

Most of my older devices are using 2.4Ghz(N) while my TV(Netflix and Prime) and phone are using 5.0GHZ(AC). I am looking at AX Devices.

I do some work with Linux running an Apache Server on Raspberry Pi(not priority). So I want to have access to NAT

I do play the occasional World of Warcraft and SWTOR, but the gaming is a lower priority. I would like a buy device that does not a registered logon with a subscription or company.

My older home(with basement) is 25ftx50ft, where I put the router is in the middle of the top floor and currently the PC in the basement far corner has connection issues.

So any suggestions?

kanewolf

Titan
My older Arris SBG10 is failing and now I am have replaced the modem potion and looking for a new router.

I am looking for NON-MESH WIFI router, that can support both 2.4Gz and 5.0Ghz devices that I can do remote work especially using apps such as Webex and Jabber(discontinued).

Most of my older devices are using 2.4Ghz(N) while my TV(Netflix and Prime) and phone are using 5.0GHZ(AC). I am looking at AX Devices.

I do some work with Linux running an Apache Server on Raspberry Pi(not priority). So I want to have access to NAT

I do play the occasional World of Warcraft and SWTOR, but the gaming is a lower priority. I would like a buy device that does not a registered logon with a subscription or company.

My older home(with basement) is 25ftx50ft, where I put the router is in the middle of the top floor and currently the PC in the basement far corner has connection issues.

So any suggestions?
Run a cable to the basement. WIFI through multiple floors is a bad idea. WIFI routers are designed to radiate horizontally.

Reactions: Senathon
You would likely be ok with a $50 router. The actual cheaper routers have less features so you don't run into that idiot cloud configuration stuff or subscription fees for features.

TPlink makes inexpensive devices that have a good amount of features. For a bit more you can get a asus router that can run the merlin firmware if you like.

Almost all routers have some ability to do port forwarding to get around NAT.

Although wifi6 routers are about the same price as older 802.11ac routers you also tend to not get any difference in performance. The problem is getting 160mhz radio bands in the 5g radio channel. Because of radar avoidance rules and the massive overcrowding it does not work all that well.

If you were to spend extra money get wifi6e that can use the 6g bands. Since your end devices also would need the 6ghz support it is not likely in the short run to be of any benifit.

Sep 25, 2023
I was looking for at some Asus Routers for my needs. Can you recommend any router(s) based upon the information provide above?

I prefer an AX(for future devices) but AC would be good for now.

Sep 25, 2023
Run a cable to the basement. WIFI through multiple floors is a bad idea. WIFI routers are designed to radiate horizontally.
What is hilarious is the kids moved their pc's downstairs after I moved the router upstairs. I told them before they moved their equipment that I am not running any more cabling downstairs(after the basement was finished)

If you have coax cable you can use MoCA.

Something like a asus ac68u would likely be more than good enough. It will run merlin if you like.

You have to be very careful if you look at AX stuff. The problem is if you buy a cheap ax device like one with a 1800 number on it those only support 80mhz radio bands. They also only have 2 antenna ie 2x2 mimo. This means unless you happen to be in the same room as the router and can use QAM1024 it will run the same as router running ac1200.

Note even more expensive routers that do support 160mhz can run slower that the 1900---ac68u router I listed. This is because most end devices do not support 160mhz either.

I would completely skip wifi6 (ie 802.11ax) and go wifi6e (802.11axe). The 6ghz radio band solves all the issues with the 160mhz radio issues. Note you will still not really get those huge speeds most people get only about 600mbps at most.

Sep 25, 2023
That is the model ( ac68u) I was looking at on Amazon and they are sold out(both the black and white). Sigh.. Now the AX68U version is available for between $100 to 130.

Maybe it depends on the country.
The ax68u will basically be the same router with the wifi6 support....kinda. It only support 80mhz radio bands so it really isn't true wifi6

.....that is really strange you get different results based on what your delivery city it. When I use my account it show you can get it when I log out and use the vpn to change the location it shows as not available. They do have used ones sold by amazon maybe that would be a option if you did not want to wait

Sep 25, 2023
Yep, that is the same router. I found a RT-68U at new egg for $60(new), since Amazon out of stock.

So I got that on ordered and decided to look at my PCIe network card and realized that I am only using 802.11G. Can you recommend a network card. I know any AC card would do, but I really like something that everyone knows that it works and not overpriced imitation.

There are a bunch of cards that use the intel ax210. These like video cards are basically reference cards so even lessor know brands are about the same. They all use the same chips provided by intel.

The once with the cables for remote antenna are a bit more but this does help on a desktop so you can move the antenna away from the back.

ax210 are wifi6e but there is almost no difference in the price for normal wifi6 and even 802.11ac in most cases. Key here is unlike a router there is only 1 radio chip and it can run at 2.4,5,6 but only 1 at a time. A router needs 3 radio chips which is partially what makes wifi6e more than wifi6

Sep 25, 2023
So I upgraded my modem to Arris SBG10 and and router to the Asus ac68u. I noticed at least a 30% increase of speed and a 20% increase of range. This is without the merlin firmware or a new network card for my PC. Thanks for the help!

BTW, I will upgrading the firmware and the card in a few weeks, but everything is solid and love the speed. For the World of Warcraft Lovers out there, I can run three machines with no issues.