[SOLVED] Replacing fan in psu

May 2, 2021
Hi,

I replaced a fan (12v, 0.18A) in my ~10 year old PSU Chieftec GPS-350 EB-101 A because it had became noisy. The new fan was expensive Zephyr 120 (12v, 0,18A). After replacement to my surprise the new fan doesn't start rotating until I push it. After I push it rotates really slowly.

The power requirements of PC are really small - as my CPU takes max 55W and GPU is integrated in it. After 1h PSU is a bit warm, not hot, but warm - still the fan doesn't rotate until I push it.Though noisy, the old one started right away on power on.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should've stopped at the Chieftec part. Replacing a fan on a unit as badly built as the one you have only makes it worse due to the resources you're expending on it. Not all fans are the same for all PSU's, to add to that problem, not all PSU's fan curves are programmed the same which explains why you have to nudge the fan to work. Also, please stop working with PSU's that are known to be fire hazards...yes they can and will burn your house down or give you an electric death.

May 2, 2021
Thanks, it had been working fine for 10 years on various systems - even with more power consuming graphics cards. Now I use it to surf the net on low power consuming computer. So what do you suggest as a work around?

Then what do you suggest using? Which brand? ~300W PSU shall be sufficient for my computer.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Thanks, it had been working fine for 10 years on various systems - even with more power consuming graphics cards. Now I use it to surf the net on low power consuming computer. So what do you suggest as a work around?

Then what do you suggest using? Which brand? ~300W PSU shall be sufficient for my computer.
From where do you purchase PC parts? What is your budget for a replacement PSU?

In the meantime, for your consideration (400w version):

https://seasonic.com/eco-plus-series

(450w) https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Supply-Units/cs-series-config/p/CP-9020075-NA

May 2, 2021
Thanks for your reply. I am from Europe, I can spend any money like 60$ max. I don't require 400W PSU. My current 350 Chieftec with active fan my PSU remains cold.
System:
CPU G2020 - 55W MAX
Integrated GPU in CPU
1 RAM module
1 HDD - 500GB
1 DVD

Thanks, it had been working fine for 10 years on various systems - even with more power consuming graphics cards. Now I use it to surf the net on low power consuming computer.

Power supplies are funny. Especially cheap ones like yours. They work until the don't.... then they kill all of your other parts.

My rule of thumb is 10 years or dead fan (usually the same thing) means the PSU's next move is a catastrophic failure. Return the "expensive" fan and throw away the PSU and get a new one.

Only replace a PSU's fan when the fan use standard, removable connector, and the replacement fan has the same technical specs.

Like people said above, working with a PSU is dangerous, always unplug the PSU one day before to allow the capacitors to completely discharge.