[SOLVED] Replacing fan on ST85F-G. How dangerous is it?

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
GShv0mQ.jpg

(Picture is from a review for the ST65F-G model, sister model to my ST85F-G)

As you see, I got lucky and the fan cables are not soldered on the PSU mainboard. Instead, it has got a standard PSU FAN 2-pin plug.

The PSU is cooled by a single 135mm fan. Not sure of the fan's specs as I haven't opened it up yet, but after searching online I found
that the next updated model of my PSU dubbed ST85F-G Evolution is cooled by a HA1425L12F-Z cooling fan by Hong Hua (140mm, 12V, 0.22A, 1800 RPM).

Thinking to replace the fan with a Noctua three pin one as the noise it's making on idle is annoying. Planning to use a 3pin to 2pin adaptor.

Any suggestions as to what I should be careful about as I am disassembling the unit?

Solution
In all honesty, just because a fan might seem to be good on specs/paper about it's silence, it might not fair well inside a PSU. There are threads of people replacing the fan on an SFX Silverstone 450W PSU but only a select few fans work on the unit regardless of what the specs say. In your case, I'd stick to the fan you already have bundled with your PSU. You'll notice that trial and error to find the right fan for your PSU that behaves well with the circuitry of the unit will equate to you buying a PSU off the shelf that has a better fan noise level, like the ones from Seasonic.

Lutfij

Titan
In all honesty, just because a fan might seem to be good on specs/paper about it's silence, it might not fair well inside a PSU. There are threads of people replacing the fan on an SFX Silverstone 450W PSU but only a select few fans work on the unit regardless of what the specs say. In your case, I'd stick to the fan you already have bundled with your PSU. You'll notice that trial and error to find the right fan for your PSU that behaves well with the circuitry of the unit will equate to you buying a PSU off the shelf that has a better fan noise level, like the ones from Seasonic.

Solution

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
So, I have ordered a 3 pin to 2 pin fan adapter cable. Finding one for sale was really hard. Let's hope that the supplier will actually be able to get me one so that I won't have to order from China and Alibaba.

I have figured out that my Silverstone PSU is using the equivalent of a Silverstone AP 141 Air Penetrator (High Static Pressure) 12V 140mm fan.

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=281&area=en

I will be replacing it with a Noctua NF A14 FLX 3pin 12V fan which actually has got a higher CFM airflow rating and is ofc almost quiet in low RPM.

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a14-flx

I think this is gonna be a fun project. Will be updating this thread with pictures when i do the modding.

I've thought about buying a brand new Seasonic PSU but that would entail me changing all the freakin cables inside my rig with the new ones, and I as I have got 2 SDD's and 2HDD's inside, I just cba with doing the cables. Extremely annoying. I'd rather mod my old PSU than go through the hell of redoing the freakin cables.