Question Replacing FiOS Quantum Router

Dudeguy65

Reputable
Aug 25, 2016
I have FIOS Internet and have been renting the Quantum Gateway Router for far too long (5+ years) and I have been thinking it's way past time to buy a router outright (preferably an upgrade). I wanted WiFi 6 and did a bit of research, and decided to go ahead and buy the ASUS WiFi 6 RT-AX86U Gaming Router (I'm a gamer) after a little bit of research indicating it would be compatible with FiOS.

What I didn't realize, was that the new router only accepts Ethernet, and currently my condo is wired with coax which connects directly into my current, rented router. My understanding now is that I would have to run an ethernet cable from the ONT to make use of my new router, which is a headache I wasn't really planning for. I realize I should have done a bit more research on this, but I'm still within the return window on the new router, so I have a few questions.

Is there any way to make use of this router (without loss of functionality) with coax wiring?

If not...How much would it cost to run Ethernet from my basement (where the ONT is) to the second floor (very rough ballpark)?

Is it even worth the effort or should I just return the ASUS router and purchase the official Verizon FiOS WiFi 6 router they are currently offering?

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
The Verizon G1100 accepts either ethernet or coax.
I have one, purchased from Verizon a few years ago.

Trivial purchase, they just added that price to my bill, spread over the next 3 bills.

I've not looked into it, but Verizon has a new one that is WiFi 6 capable.

Dudeguy65

Reputable
Aug 25, 2016
So do you have coax that runs from the basement to the second floor.

It will be far cheaper to use MoCA running over the coax cable to connect between the ethernet on the ONT and your new router.
Yeah the house is currently wired on coax running from the ONT to the router. My question was mainly if it makes sense to run Ethernet from the ONT both technically and economically, since the third party router I was hoping to use only connects via Ethernet.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah the house is currently wired on coax running from the ONT to the router. My question was mainly if it makes sense to run Ethernet from the ONT both technically and economically, since the third party router I was hoping to use only connects via Ethernet.
Do you have FiOS TV?
If so, a verizon router needs to be in there somewhere. That talks to the Verizon STB.

It is the cost of using a couple moca adapters that cost about $60 each or having a ethernet cable run. It might be cheaper if you do it yourself and just drill though the ouside walls of the house and run the cable on the outside.....like a ISP does. To have it run inside the walls will likely cost more than the $120 the Moca devices will cost.

What you will do is ONT----ethernet---moca----coax----moca---ethernet---new router. The brand people really like is called gocoax and can run full gigabit speeds.

The ethernet will be a better solution because once it is installed there is little that can go wrong. It just depends on if you can actually get the ethernet cable installed the way you want.

USAFRet

Titan
If there is coax to the current router, MOCA is even cheaper. You only need one MOCA device, the Verizon router serves as the other half.

That is how my house is wired.
Can't tell the difference between being connected to the router, or connected to the MOCA device upstairs.

Dudeguy65

Reputable
Aug 25, 2016
If there is coax to the current router, MOCA is even cheaper. You only need one MOCA device, the Verizon router serves as the other half.

That is how my house is wired.
Can't tell the difference between being connected to the router, or connected to the MOCA device upstairs.
Not sure I totally follow your suggestion (pardon my ignorance, I’m not that well versed in this stuff), but I currently have the coax running from the ONT to my router, I figure that’s possible because it’s already MoCA, I’m trying to return the Verizon router so I don’t pay the rental fee. What kind of device are you suggesting in addition to the new third party router? Some kind of converter?

USAFRet

Titan
Not sure I totally follow your suggestion (pardon my ignorance, I’m not that well versed in this stuff), but I currently have the coax running from the ONT to my router, I figure that’s possible because it’s already MoCA, I’m trying to return the Verizon router so I don’t pay the rental fee. What kind of device are you suggesting in addition to the new third party router? Some kind of converter?
You can buy that router outright.
I did.

What is the specific model you currently have?