Replacing GPU fans with case fans.

Shiftycrayon

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Hi guys, My graphics card (r9 280x Gigabyte Windforce). Gets extremely hot down here in Australia. The noise really bugs me and in the last month or so one of the fans has been playing up.I took the heatsink and fans off, cleaned them out, replaced the paste and then when I went to oil the fans I realized that the fans Gigabyte use have sealed bearings. The replacement fans that fit the shroud are really expensive and I am now considering buying three 92mm fans and zip tying them where ever I can on the GPU. Has anybody tried this? Is it an effective solution?

Shiftycrayon

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Oh yeah I didn't mean remove the heatsink and have the fans just blowing there (if thats what you implied) its just that most people recommend the Arctic cooling Accel x3 and I imagine that the heatsink on the windforce x3 is very similar so I don't see the point in buying a whole new heatsink when I could just buy some new fans :)

DougLYX

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
i considered the 200mm fan that came with the case to be too small, so i put in something bigger. and took out the rest of the case fans cause they were moving air too slow for that big fan on slow to move air thru.
the 20inch fan on low has the air pressure in the case of 15 120mm fans on high, box fan on med speed has air pressure of 30-40 120mm's on high, and when box fan is on high is like 50-60 120mms on high, and thats thru the filter..it's like 2-3x faster without the filters, but i want to keep the case mostly dust free.