[SOLVED] Replacing GPU

Solution
One way is to look at the passmark numbers for the "Radeon Vega RX Graphics 11 " or any other card.
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+RX+Vega+11&id=3893
It shows 2279.

For example a google search for "RX560 passmark" will give you the link
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon RX 560
showing a rating of 4320

The strongest 75w graphics card is likely the GTX1650 with a rating of 7921

ATX is a case motherboard size standard indicating 7 typical expansion slots.
What is the model of your fractal design case?

There are some slim media pc cases that are ATX format that will not hold a full height graphics card.
On occasion graphics card length can be a factor.
It is possible to change integrated GPU also.
On modern systems iGPU is integrated into CPU. So - to change iGPU, you'd have to change CPU.
On desktop computers it makes more sense to add discrete GPU than changing CPU to change iGPU.

If CPU is soldered onto motherboard, then no - neither CPU nor iGPU can be changed
(without appropriate bga chip soldering equipment and knowledge/skills, how to do that).

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
If you place in a discrete GPU into your PCI-E and you plug your monitor thru the discrete graphics card then you will use the discrete GPU rather than the iGPU.

what is your full system spec at the moment?
down to make and exact model of your PSU and whats your budget for a GPU upgrade.

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
If you place in a discrete GPU into your PCI-E and you plug your monitor thru the discrete graphics card then you will use the discrete GPU rather than the iGPU.

what is your full system spec at the moment?
down to make and exact model of your PSU and whats your budget for a GPU upgrade.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G CPU with Radeon Vega RX Graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320 M-H
Ram: 2 x 8GB of HyperX Fury DDR4
SSD/HDD: SSD 120GB, HDD 1TB
GPU: Radeon Vega RX Graphics
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500W 80 Plus
Chassis: Fractal Design

Budget of £100 / $122

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G CPU with Radeon Vega RX Graphics
Motherboard: Gigabyte A320 M-H
Ram: 2 x 8GB of HyperX Fury DDR4
SSD/HDD: SSD 120GB, HDD 1TB
GPU: Radeon Vega RX Graphics
PSU: Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500W 80 Plus
Chassis: Fractal Design

Budget of £100 / $122

the best choice would be a RX 570 or RX 560 (1024), the RX 570 requiring a power connection while the RX 560 (1024) is just a plug and play.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...b-strix-video-card-rog-strix-rx560-o4g-gaming
if you manage to find a RX 570 for about £100 you could also get that but this should do.

you could also just save up for more and get a RX 580 (8GB). your iGPU should still hold up to low-medium settings at 1080p and on esports games it should be fine. since the RX 580 is a much significant upgrade.

your PSU isnt great but doable in your situation I wouldnt use that in a future upgrade though.

Last edited:
Reactions: simmyx
Some games are graphics limited like fast action shooters.
Others are cpu core speed limited like strategy, sims, and mmo.
Multiplayer tends to like many threads.

You need to find out which.
------------------------------------------------------------
To help clarify your CPU/GPU options, run this test:

Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.
CSGO seems to be one of the more cpu dependent games.

Your psu is of questionable quality and may not be able to deliver the advertised 500w.
Tier 6, I think on this list:

That will limit your choice of graphics card upgrades.
Here is a handy chart of psu requirements for graphics cards:

The RX cards are cheap, but power hungry.
You might be cautious and buy a card that needs no more than 75w.
Here is a list with performance rankings:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

For reference, your vega11 is about the same capability as the GT1030 on the list.

Reactions: simmyx

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
the best choice would be a RX 570 or RX 560 (1024), the RX 570 requiring a power connection while the RX 560 (1024) is just a plug and play.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...b-strix-video-card-rog-strix-rx560-o4g-gaming

They look huge,not sure they would fit in my case, my case is a big ATX not sure if it's full sized or not though ? What are the measurments for a full sized ATX ?

Also what are the specs for the "Radeon Vega RX Graphics 11 " so I can compare it to other ones ?
I'd rather not get one thats so big, but that is an upgrade if you know what I mean

Last edited:
One way is to look at the passmark numbers for the "Radeon Vega RX Graphics 11 " or any other card.
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon+RX+Vega+11&id=3893
It shows 2279.

For example a google search for "RX560 passmark" will give you the link
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Radeon RX 560
showing a rating of 4320

The strongest 75w graphics card is likely the GTX1650 with a rating of 7921

ATX is a case motherboard size standard indicating 7 typical expansion slots.
What is the model of your fractal design case?

There are some slim media pc cases that are ATX format that will not hold a full height graphics card.
On occasion graphics card length can be a factor.

Solution

simmyx

Honorable
May 15, 2017
A very nice case.
The specs say you can install a graphics card of up to 380mm.
That is huge, nobody makes a card that long.
The height is also not an issue.
Thanks dude
Which should I be looking for, DDR3 or DDR4 ? eBuyer Q&A say it only supports DDR4

I'd like to get a " Gigabyte " GPU as it's the same as my Mobo

Last edited:
Thanks dude
Which should I be looking for, DDR3 or DDR4 ? eBuyer Q&A say it only supports DDR4

You already have DDR4 ram which is used by your motherboard.
The ram type on a graphics card is completely separate and has no relation to the motherboard ram.
Modern graphics cards will use DDR5 or even DDR6.
It is useless to make graphics card specs the basis for card selection.
If you play a particular game to the exclusion of most others, you could look for benchmarks of that game and see if any graphics card plays that game particularly well.
To compare cards, you could look at tom's gpu hierarchy list:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
Or look up the passmark performance ratings.

In a similar vein, there is little reason to try to match the makers of your motherboard to the maker of your graphics card.
The guts of a graphics card will all be the same, coming from either amd or nvidia.
The differences are mostly marketing and perhaps the level of factory overclock.

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
They look huge,not sure they would fit in my case, my case is a big ATX not sure if it's full sized or not though ? What are the measurments for a full sized ATX ?

Also what are the specs for the "Radeon Vega RX Graphics 11 " so I can compare it to other ones ?
I'd rather not get one thats so big, but that is an upgrade if you know what I mean

the GPU should fit fine and they arent that big. in fact i find the RX 560/570 as small.
well its an iGPU (vega 11) comparing it to either a RX 560/570 or GTX 1650 is pointless since they will be more than twice as capable in games and anything else respectively.

Thanks dude

if you can increase your budget you can get this instead of the RX 560.

Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 570 4 GB ROG STRIX Video Card (£130.00 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £130.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

also for the brand thingy, i have an Asus motherboard and i use a MSI GPU, if you think something wrong might happen if you mix them, there wont be so you can mix them all you want (i personally prefer MSI GPUs then Asus then gigabyte respectively), also the reason why i chose asus for my recommendations for both the RX 560 and RX 570 is that they are the cheapest and have the best cooling for their price.

Some of the GPUs look big and im thinking I'll have to take my LAN card out for it to fit or will it be ok ?
I know it will fit in the case but on my Mobo doesn't look huge
Most good graphics cards take up two slots.
Such a card will cover the first pcie x4 slot
If you have something installed in that slot, move it to the next x4 slot.
Then, also, the motherboard already has a lan adapter available on the rear i/o panel.
If by lan adapter, you really mean a wifi adapter that is a different thing.
If you can't move a wifi adapter to the second pcie x4 slot, you can always get wifi functionality by using a USB connected wifi adapter.