Replacing gtx 650 with 970

Ilthalyas

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
I have a few questions about whether this gpu will work. The motherboard I have is a Asus z87-A. Right now I have a MSI gtx 650, and I want to get a EVGA gtx 970 (the FTW version). The 650 has PCI Express 3.0, and the 970 requires PCI Express 3.0 x16, would this work? Also, the 650 requires one 6-pin power connector, while the 970 requires two. The 6-pin plug that is plugged into my 650 right now has an 8-pin also, could I just get an adapter?

Solution
just make sure your power supply have enough power for it. nvidia recommend 500w PSU for 970. if your PSU only have one 1 6 pin (or 6+2) you can use molex for the second 6 pin. sometimes they were supplied with the graphic card. if not you can buy it yourself.

gilbadon

Distinguished
They are the same thing. The motherboard will work. And I do not quite understand the problem with the CPU. It sounds like you are thinking the CPU power connector is a GPU PCI-E connector. Do not mix the two because they have reverse polarity. Is it a 6+2 pin or 8 pins fully connected?

just make sure your power supply have enough power for it. nvidia recommend 500w PSU for 970. if your PSU only have one 1 6 pin (or 6+2) you can use molex for the second 6 pin. sometimes they were supplied with the graphic card. if not you can buy it yourself.

Solution