Question Replacing Hard Disk with and SSD and use HP Recovery Media

May 3, 2019
I have an HP Pavillion 15-p258nl, which came with a pre-installed version of Windows.
Actually, i have Debian on my laptop, and during the installation of this Os i unfortunately deleted the windows
firmware. So i bought the HP Recovery Media so as to have the possibility to reinstall windows, even though I haven't done it yet.
If i buy an ssd and i replace with it the hard disk of my hp notebook, can I at this point use the HP Recovery Disk and start with a new fresh install of Windows ?

ps: with a budget of $140, which 1Tera SSD do you suggest to me ?

What windows version? Windows 8.1 ?
Windows license key should be embedded into BIOS of your laptop.
You can simply reinstall appropriate windows version (Home or Pro) and it won't ask for a key (if you install the correct version). And it will activate automatically once you connect to internet.

For SSD - go with Samsung 860 evo or Crucial MX500.

The only firmware on a PC/laptop is the BIOS and that's dealt with separately from OS. BIOS is OS independent, there is no BIOS for Windows or BIOS for Linux.

If ^he is correct and your Windows license is embedded, u can restore the original version of Windows anytime. If license is not embedded, one hope u saved all packaging and documentation.