[SOLVED] Replacing Hardrive, Need Advice on whether I have the right component.

randomjoe9000

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Hello All,

I'm not technically savvy in computer Hard Drive replacement and I would appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction, Please and Thank You.

I have an old HP All-in-One 200-5000 Desktop PC series
Link to the type of PC> https://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/hp-all-in-one-200-5000-desktop-pc-series/4147564/manuals

I bought P300 Desktop PC Hard Drive to replace the dead HD in the HP All-in-One 200-5000 Desktop PC series. The dead HD gave a BIOHD-3 ERROR CODE when SMART tested.
Link to the replacement HD I bought> https://www.toshiba-storage.com/products/toshiba-internal-hard-drives-p300/

Does the BIOHD-3 ERROR CODE indicate missing OS or does it mean an unrecoverable HD? Also, I was wondering if the HP All-in-One 200-5000 Desktop PC series and P300 Desktop PC Hard Drive are compatible components? Would they work together or did I buy the wrong HD for the type of PC I am trying to restore?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Randomjoe9000

Solution
Modern HDD are interchangeable, provided the physical size is correct - a 3.5" desktop drive clearly won't fit into a laptop (which use 2.5" drives). Drives have standardized on a SATA interface for some years. The difference between SATA 2 and 3 generally isn't relevant to spinning disk drives (SSD are fast enough to notice the difference but not old HDD).

As to the data recovery question, the only way to know is to attempt a recovery. You can use an external enclosure to plug the drive externally into the PC once it's up and running with the new drive.

A friendly reminder also, any data that's important must have backups. That is, redundant copies on different physical drives a/o a cloud provider.

Are you prepared to install...
Modern HDD are interchangeable, provided the physical size is correct - a 3.5" desktop drive clearly won't fit into a laptop (which use 2.5" drives). Drives have standardized on a SATA interface for some years. The difference between SATA 2 and 3 generally isn't relevant to spinning disk drives (SSD are fast enough to notice the difference but not old HDD).

As to the data recovery question, the only way to know is to attempt a recovery. You can use an external enclosure to plug the drive externally into the PC once it's up and running with the new drive.

A friendly reminder also, any data that's important must have backups. That is, redundant copies on different physical drives a/o a cloud provider.

Are you prepared to install Windows to the new drive? The drive ships blank.

Solution

randomjoe9000

Reputable
May 25, 2020
Hello SchizTech,
Thank You for replying. Yes, i have a copy of Windows 10 ready to install. Does that means I will have to create a partition on the blank HD, using another computer and Disk Management?

USAFRet

Titan
Hello SchizTech,
Thank You for replying. Yes, i have a copy of Windows 10 ready to install. Does that means I will have to create a partition on the blank HD, using another computer and Disk Management?
Read through this a time or two: