Replacing hardware on already unactivated windows 10

LiberatedPudding

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2014
I have a unactivated version of Windows 10 pro and I'm looking to upgrade the CPU I was wondering if my windows version even though unactivated will have further problem if I replace the CPU and it recognizes it as a "new" system. I have just yesterday replaced the GPU and had no problems. Any speculation or ideas are welcome. Thanks

Solution
And since win 10 build 1607 that motherboard may now no longer tie windows to the PC, the login does (or can if you use a MSA to login or follow this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change)

Have you tested that photonboy? since 1607? I have no way of doing it myself so wasn't sure where the line is with swapping motherbaord - the web site i linked isn't specific enough
Yep.
Even if it DID trigger a reactivation it's a simple process likely just requiring a single click when prompted.

*It's generally the MOTHERBOARD SOCKET that ties Windows to the computer.

Microsoft's algorithm is not clear. One part may not trigger an activation, but multiple parts and/or software changes can. They've toned it down a lot because a few years ago it was hassling me far too often when upgrading people's computers.

Again though, basically if you don't change the motherboard to a new socket there's little to worry about. (same socket but different model is considered a "repair build" meaning it's the same PC but the motherboard may have died. A different socket assumes it's a new PC since that is obviously a new CPU etc).

Colif

Win 11 Master
And since win 10 build 1607 that motherboard may now no longer tie windows to the PC, the login does (or can if you use a MSA to login or follow this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change)

Have you tested that photonboy? since 1607? I have no way of doing it myself so wasn't sure where the line is with swapping motherbaord - the web site i linked isn't specific enough

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I currently haven't tied mine to an MSA and it says in activation: Windows is activated with a digital licence. It stays tied to motherboard until you link it to the email address you give them. Most users had it automatically linked to their MSA the first time they login with it - thew MSA is the email address you used to register a copy of win 10, it doesn't have to be a microsoft email address, mine is a gmail account... i just don't use it.

Colif

Win 11 Master
As Sr71 said, the number of changes you can make now means you might not need to use it anyway. If you don't change many parts it doesn't make any difference. Its just there so people can swap parts now and not have to ring Microsoft all the time.

USAFRet

Titan

You do not have to use it all the time.
Link the license to a MS account.

When and if you need to change the hardware (motherboard), log on with that MS account and do what it says regarding activation.
Later, continue using your local account as you were before

USAFRet

Titan

It was always thus.
The motherboard, an/or too many other parts at the same time.

MS has always been fuzzy on exactly what triggers a reactivation.

With the 1607 release, the motherboard still triggers a reactivation. Just that now, you do not need a new license for that activation.