Replacing HDD in Lenovo laptop with "hybrid" drive.

Jun 14, 2018
I have an older Lenovo laptop with, I think, a hybrid drive. It's a 500gb WD blue drive with a small, black square in one corner which I believe is a small SSD drive piggybacked on. I'm going from memory here that it was billed as having a "hybrid" drive when I bought it so that's why I'm thinking that the little black section is a small SSD drive. At any rate, I would like to freshen it up by installing an SSD drive. However, when I go into My Computer, it actually shows 2 drives. Local Disk C (which shows 420GB capacity) and LENOVO D (which shows about 30GB capacity). I assume that the Lenovo D is the recovery. I also assume that the Lenovo D is the SSD drive portion but I really dont know. I'm not sure how the system manages a drive like this ... if it's actually 2 seperate drives eventhough it is a single sata and power connection, or whether it's just seen as a single drive with a separate partition that shows as two drives even though it's technically only one drive.

My question is whether it's possible to clone this drive to a SSD drive and keep it showing as two
separate drives like it shows now. To be clear, I have cloned a drive before. I recently used Marcium (free version) to clone the HDD in my desktop to an SSD. But that was just as regular drive, no partition, just the system C drive.

I'm not sure how to go about handling this one or if it's even possible. If someone can help with some input, I would appreciate it.

Solution
Look into 'cloning drives with multiple partitions'. Suggest you look at your new SSD's website for the cloning software, and procedures for doing it.
Jun 14, 2018
Downloaded Macrium and it has the option to clone C and D so looks like that will work. I dont have the SSD yet but it's a Samsung. I will check their free software when I get the drive. Looks like this will be easy enough. Thanks for the input.

Joey2oo9

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
D drive will be the recovery partition. Up to you whether you clone it or not. Personally after windows is setup the way i want it, i'd make my own backup instead of having to use the crapware laden Lenovo recovery image. Just think of the all updates it would need to download and install...