[SOLVED] Replacing HDD PCB

Nov 26, 2020
I know this question has been asked in the context of rescuing data and I know the answer is complicated. All I want to do is replace the PCB because the SATA connector is broken on a 1TB Seagate HDD that has already been replaced thanks to a backup on Backblaze (lifesaver!). I just want to make the drive usable again. If I'm going to reformat the drive anyway, is there any problem replacing the PCB then reformatting the drive?

Perry

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
The truth of the matter is it's almost better to just buy a new 1TB HDD since beyond the issue of adaptives in the ROM, the replacement PCB is close to the cost of a new 1TB HDD anyhow.

Unless you have a weird emotional attachment to it? Lol...

USAFRet

Titan
I know this question has been asked in the context of rescuing data and I know the answer is complicated. All I want to do is replace the PCB because the SATA connector is broken on a 1TB Seagate HDD that has already been replaced thanks to a backup on Backblaze (lifesaver!). I just want to make the drive usable again. If I'm going to reformat the drive anyway, is there any problem replacing the PCB then reformatting the drive?

Perry
The data is already replaced and safe?
That old drive is now a fridge magnet donor.

Nov 26, 2020
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. My dad was one of those guys who never threw anything away and always tried to repurpose used parts. But pragmatism rules. Fridge magnets it is.
Perry