Replacing HDD with SSD, same Windows 10 License key can be used, agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinComp

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013
Hi, Appreciate helping me, Thanks!

Planning to replace my brand new Windows 10 Acer Laptop's HDD with a brand new SSD.

It appears my laptop company Acer has also given a CD/DVD of windows 10 OS, along with my brand new laptop, so I am planning to do a fresh installation of windows 10 on a brand new SSD, rather than cloning the windows 10 from the HDD to SSD.

My question is - am I right in my assumption that I do not need a new Windows 10 license, for this fresh installation?

Since I will be doing a fresh installation on the same laptop from which the HDD was removed, and except for the new SSD everything else in that laptop is going to be the same including the mother board etc, so Windows should not consider I am installing the operating system on a new computer, so if I am asked for a license key during the installation process all I have to do is just use the one I already have with me for this laptop, am I right?

Thanks so much!

Sep 4, 2019
I would still tie a Microsoft account to the Windows 10 license just to be safe - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

However, upgrading to an SSD on the same computer with the provided installation disk shouldn't cause a problem with licensing.

Hello i installed Windows on my SSD following that tutorial but i have problem with drivers. Any of them is working properly so i can not connect to internet to update them because network driver is also not working

Status
Not open for further replies.