Replacing HP Case!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PonchoB

Reputable
May 30, 2014
The 280x has the same performance? Sorry, I'm not well versed with current hardware. This is all from a night's worth of research, so I appreciate all the info. :D

If I go with the 280x (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48689), I'd get the 650W Seasonic psu. Nice to know about the CX series... I've just seen it recommended in the past!

Ah, these decisions are difficult.

I'd only use CX for low end/office rigs. They don't have as good of regulation and ripple suppresion like the more quality PSUs. Very often I see less than 12v on the 12v rail on CX, which is very bad.

The good Corsair PSUs are TX/AX/HX (Seasonic) but they overprice them.

Pondering

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I went with r7 260x (1 MSi 260x 2GB and 2 powercolor 1 GB) for my HP desktops and swapped out the power supplies for 2 xfx TS 550 and 1 Antec High Current Gamer 620M. I ended up swapping cases afterwards. I got the Cougar Solutions Black Steel since it only comes with one case fan and I only had one 3 pin connector on 2 of my HP desktops. I should have bought Fluid Circulative Bearing (FCB) fans for one of my HP motherboards that had an additional 3 pin connector which was in the perfect place for top exhaust fan which would be mounted horizontally but instead I had purchased sleeve bearings which are meant to be mounted vertically.

The molex to fan adapter thing can get kind of crazy.

PonchoB

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Okay--so how's this: the R9 280X, Seasonic 650w power supply, and the Zalman case. Either that or the HAF 922! Also, I'm interested in the Fractal Design R4. Is it a lot quieter than the other cases I'm looking at?

Anything else I need to think about/buy?

PonchoB

Reputable
May 30, 2014
There are two types of fans used in computers. The normal case fan is used to just move air. High static pressure fans are used when the fans has to push or suck air through a resistance (like a radiator or heat sink). There are two types of fan connections 3-pin and 4-pin. The 3-pin fans can be RPM controlled with reducing the normal 12volt down to it's stall speed. The 4-pin fans can be controlled by voltage or by the RPM feedback of the fourth pin (Pulse Width Modulation or PWM).

PWM fans are good because they are more easily controlled. Many if not most motherboards offer 4-pin fan headers that allow the motherboard to power and control the fan using a fan control utility.

PonchoB

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Here's the link which details my mobo's connectors. It's a little farther down the page.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=5080764&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c02831611-7%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

Okay--so, the Zalman case comes with several fans. Do I need to buy more? Will I have trouble connecting these fans to my motherboard? Sorry if the answers to these questions are obvious/simple. :)

I checked the manufacturer website for your Zalman case. It just says that it has four 120mm fans. My guess is that they are 3-pin fans. So you are going to need to wait until you get the case to check the fans.

I did notice one thing about your case that is going to be a pain. The bottom dust filter appears to be only accessible by turning the case over.

PonchoB

Reputable
May 30, 2014
I don't think the motherboard has any other fan connectors. Just one system fan and one cpu fan connector. How would I run the fans to the psu?

Also--I'm not one hundred percent on the case yet. I really like the idea of a silent case/the Fractal Design R4. Any pros and cons to that case in particular?

The fans usually come with a molex adapter.

Example: if you bought this fan to fill the bottom fan spot:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200090

It has this adapter if needed:

35-200-090_h4.jpg

I had recently bought some Rosewill 80mm fans and they came with some very nice PCI slot fan controllers, some of the best controllers I've had the pleasure of using.

The same controller comes with this fan:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=fan%20controller&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

Of course you could get a really cool looking fan controller like a touch screen LCD one that fits in a DVD bay for pretty cheap:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=fan%20controller&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

I had a Sentry 2 touch LCD fan controller. My dad liked it so much I felt obligated to give it to the old man :D

PonchoB

Reputable
May 30, 2014
The Sentry 2 looks awesome, and something I'd definitely get. So I just connect the controller to the power supply, and all the fans to the controller, yes? Simple as that? Haha, I hope so at least.

Which fans would you get with that? My final decision on the case is the Fractal Design R4. The titanium edition with a window: http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX40049

It comes with two 140mm front and rear fans, so then I would need a side panel fan right?

... If I'm going to do this, I suppose, I might as well go all the way and throw my budget out the window. :D

These are the fan slots they leave empty:

Optional Cooling Hardware:
2 x Top 120/140mm Fans
Second Front 120/140mm Fan
1 x Bottom 120/140mm Fan

There is no side mount, but a bottom fan is usually as good for feeding air to the graphics card. I'd fill all the slots with 140mm since they run quieter.

I would get another intake for the front. and another exhaust for the top.

Then I would wait until you have some experience with the system. I wouldn't get the side fan until you know that you need it. You can always add fans later.

PonchoB

Reputable
May 30, 2014

PonchoB

Reputable
May 30, 2014
Perfect. So I won't have any issues with my mobo and this setup?

Thank you so much for all the info and help you provided!

Post an updated list of specifications. I have so many open tickets I don't know whether to crap or wind my watch.