[SOLVED] replacing i5 650 with i7 3770 cpu

Feb 4, 2019
When replacing the CPU do I have to upgrade the BIOS. What other considerations should I be aware of. Both CPU's use the LGA 1155 socket but are there any compatibility issues that a first timer (upgrading CPU) should be aware of or is this a straight forward swap out. TIA

Solution
Feb 4, 2019

Yes. Boy, that was an expensive error. It does say, according to the system info in Windows 10 it says i5 650 3.20 ghz uses the 1156 socket. Don't know how I missed that. The new chip arrived today. Don't know what I should do now. It was used so I don't know if I can return it.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yeah, that'll happen. Best to contact the seller and explain the mistake. Hopefully he'll let you return it. Or if not, try to re-sell it yourself. The i7-3770 is a popular CPU expecially since they have long been dicontinued and are getting scarce. I recently put a i7-3770 in this Dell Optiplex I'm on. Ended up buying a beatup Optiplex SFF, swapping out CPUs, and reselling the SFF. I broke even!

Feb 4, 2019

Hate to bug you but would you know the best CPU that would fit in my socket. The 1156. Want to upgrade but don't want to change every thing.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Yeah, as mdd1063 says, it is important to know the motherboard said CPU is going into. There were two flavors of the 1156 socket i5s; the 45nm Nehalem (i5-7xx) and the 32nm Westmere (i5-6xx). The i7-8xx CPUs would be the best if your board/BIOS accepts the newer Nehalem. Otherwise, you may be at the top of the food chain (so to speak).

Solution