[SOLVED] replacing intel i3 2120 with i3 10100

randompeep

Commendable
May 20, 2021
Hey guys i am just wondering if i need to buy a new motherboard i have an intel i3 2120 installed on my motherboard and im planning to upgrade to intel i3 10100 its the best i can afford and i just read the 10th gens socket type which is 1200 LGA and the one i have is a 1155 LGA i know it is a dumb question but can i replace the cpu without buying a new motherboard?

Solution
Hey guys i am just wondering if i need to buy a new motherboard i have an intel i3 2120 installed on my motherboard and im planning to upgrade to intel i3 10100 its the best i can afford and i just read the 10th gens socket type which is 1200 LGA and the one i have is a 1155 LGA i know it is a dumb question but can i replace the cpu without buying a new motherboard?
You will need to buy new everything. Nothing will be usable from your old motherboard.

USAFRet

Titan
That is a new motherboard and new DDR4 RAM.
Also, probably a new PSU (depending on what you have now).

randompeep

Commendable
May 20, 2021
What motherboard do you have?
hi this is my motherboard
unknown.png

Reactions: randompeep
You will need to buy new everything. Nothing will be usable from your old motherboard.

Reactions: randompeep
Solution