Replacing Intel Motherboard with AMD motherboard --please help--

Aug 18, 2018
I'm going to be replacing my current intel motherboard & cpu with an AMD motherboard & CPU tomorrow and I've been trying to figure out what to do with my current windows installation and files on my hard-drive. I've found a thread which said put a windows installation on a usb and re-install windows, deleting the old windows 10 partition.

Now I'm wondering whether there will be anything else on my hard-drive that will interfere with my new setup such as drivers etc.

FYI I'm replacing the mobo, cpu and ram, nothing else.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the drivers will be the main issue here, the motherboard is not one device with a single driver, it is several.

you might be able with much work and prep get the old drive to boot in the new system, however every time I have done this windows always gets wise and goes down hard. Experience has taught me to just reinstall windows.

My method is to leave the drive as is but disconnected, install windows to a new drive. install programs to new drive. connect the old drive, boot the system (new drive) and migrate the data manually. it is a pain in the keister, but you will have a stable OS.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
In reality, on 10 it might just boot up. The drivers will be wrong, so it will default to a stock driver and would expect some limited functionality until update does it's thing. It would be best to wipe and re-install. According to your license or how it's tied to you or your machine going from an Intel system to AMD will likely want a new key.

Aug 18, 2018
I've just read this on another toms hardware thread stating "Fresh install is when you install Windows from scratch... you must first create an installation midia (usually an bootable Windows 10 installation pen drive), then boot from it, format your drive and install Windows 'fresh'. Before you need to backup all your important files to another location (an external drive, a pen drive...), so you won't loose them, because formatting your hard drive will delete everything from it."

Does that mean when I delete the old Windows 10 partition it will wipe the whole drive? Because it states there that I would lose everything (if that person is correct)

Took it from this thread: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3714136/changing-intel-amd-motherboard-cpu.html