Feb 10, 2022
Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to overwrite ISP OS on my modem-router combo (D-Link 6850U), I been trying to find the answer online but was not able till now. If someone know how to do it or even has experience in it I would like to hear it out.

Reactions: Rushnet
Solution
Hello, I would like to know if it is possible to overwrite ISP OS on my modem-router combo (D-Link 6850U), I been trying to find the answer online but was not able till now. If someone know how to do it or even has experience in it I would like to hear it out.
Usually no. That particular device does not look very secure either. https://ssd-disclosure.com/ssd-advisory-d-link-dsl-6850u-multiple-vulnerabilities/

If that is your only choice for hardware, I would look for a different ISP.

kanewolf

Titan
Usually no. That particular device does not look very secure either. https://ssd-disclosure.com/ssd-advisory-d-link-dsl-6850u-multiple-vulnerabilities/

Solution
I think the nearest trash can would be the best place for that device. The first thing I find when I search for that model is lots of information about all the backdoors and other crap put in that device by the ISP.

In general you can't load third party firmware on any device that has a modem in it. There are all kinds of strange rules about the drivers.

Now that is assuming that device even supports third party firmware.

Feb 10, 2022

I want to use that device because it has USB port and I would like to connect external drive to it to use as network storage drive, I am not considering to use it as modem or router, only as media drive host, maybe as access point too. I want to change from original ISP firmware because it is not that friendly.

A router makes a very poor NAS but if this is something more to play with I guess.

You are going to be pretty much on your own on this one. There is not a lot of interest on the third party firmware sites in making router images that run on devices that have modem in them. You will sometime see that a image will run on that same model where the only difference is if it has a modem. The modem function though will not work.

What you first need to do is check some of the third party firmware sites and see if your router even has the correct cpu and memory to load a third party image. After that you try to find a router that is similar and try loading those images....make sure you know how to unbrick that router before you start.
If that fails you might be able to link your own image. But again it must have a cpu that you can even generate third party firmware for.

I want to use that device because it has USB port and I would like to connect external drive to it to use as network storage drive, I am not considering to use it as modem or router, only as media drive host, maybe as access point too. I want to change from original ISP firmware because it is not that friendly.
If this device is not being used to connect to the net perhaps consider usb attached storage.

I think the nearest trash can would be the best place for that device.
Proper e-waste recycling is much better choice ;) Depending on where OP resides, local municipalities / stores might run campaigns for e-waste.

I want to use that device because it has USB port
If you disable DHCP function, and assign a static LAN address from your main router' IP space, you can connect it LAN-to-LAN, and probably use it as an USB NAS server. Again, as others pointed out - very poor choice.

Feb 10, 2022
A router makes a very poor NAS but if this is something more to play with I guess.

You are going to be pretty much on your own on this one. There is not a lot of interest on the third party firmware sites in making router images that run on devices that have modem in them. You will sometime see that a image will run on that same model where the only difference is if it has a modem. The modem function though will not work.

What you first need to do is check some of the third party firmware sites and see if your router even has the correct cpu and memory to load a third party image. After that you try to find a router that is similar and try loading those images....make sure you know how to unbrick that router before you start.
If that fails you might be able to link your own image. But again it must have a cpu that you can even generate third party firmware for.
It is poor choice, but at least something to experiment with, also it is pretty budget, I don't need an NAS with 10gbps network card, just simple network storage for multimedia use etc.

Feb 10, 2022
Proper e-waste recycling is much better choice ;) Depending on where OP resides, local municipalities / stores might run campaigns for e-waste.

If you disable DHCP function, and assign a static LAN address from your main router' IP space, you can connect it LAN-to-LAN, and probably use it as an USB NAS server. Again, as others pointed out - very poor choice.
Thanks for suggestion, I will check if I am able to disable DHCP (Hope ISP firmware is allowing that)