Question Replacing just the CPU fan with Noctua

Chris8282

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
So I have decided that replacing my OEM non-stock CPU cooler with an aftermarket CPU fan and heatsink combination is not worth it for my 8700. I am deciding whether or not replacing the CPU fan, rear case fan, and adding a 120mm top case fan wood be better enough to justify the cost. The cost for the two fans plus the 120 mm top case fan that I already have is $22. Are noctua fans a big enough upgrade over a OEM barely above stock fan that it would noticeably cool a CPU better without replacing the heatsink along with it.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Noctua fans are excellent, but they are pricey. I'd suggest replacing your CPU fan with a Noctua fan, and replace any current case fans you have with one as well. I'd take 2 Noctua fans over 4 normal fans. If you want the ultimate solution buy a Noctua CPU cooler that comes bundled with one of their fans.

Chris8282

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2013
Unfortunately, until I can determine that the Noctua heatsink can be mounted to my current back plate, I cannot go that route. I don't want to take out the motherboard and there are reports of the back plate being so tightly secured that it can break the motherboard getting out. Price you pay for buying a prebuilt on Memorial Day sale no matter how good of a deal it was. So, at the moment, I must resort to replacing the fans only. I've just never replace fans only and I don't know how much of an improvement it would be. Someone on YouTube with the same build and same fans claims a 10c drop, so I'm hoping for similar results.

TRENDING THREADS