[SOLVED] Replacing laptop SSD - is this compatible?

PCDevil

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021
Hi.

I’m looking to replace the SSD in my HP Pavilion laptop.

I currently have the Sandisk SD8SNAT-128G-1006 internal SSD. Can I replace this with the Samsung 970 EVO Plus PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Internal SSD?

I would also like to put the Sandisk one in a USB M.2 SSD enclosure so I can plug it externally into my computer and access the files still, but keep seeing “doesn’t support M.2 NVMe PCIe SSDs". Will the Sandisk SSD work in an enclosure that says this or do I need something different?

Thanks!

Solution
Yes, your old drive is SATA according to the spec sheet.

Of more concern is your new drive going into the HP Pavilion, you need to confirm if that will accept an NVMe drive. Safest would be to switch to something like the Samsung 860 Evo which is also a SATA drive.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Of more concern is your new drive going into the HP Pavilion, you need to confirm if that will accept an NVMe drive. Safest would be to switch to something like the Samsung 860 Evo which is also a SATA drive.

Reactions: PCDevil
Solution

PCDevil

Prominent
Aug 9, 2021

Thanks! I'll check that out then.

I'm switching out HDD for a Samsung SSD 870 EVO, which is SATA and, based on what I read about having two SSDs, the other always said it would be M.2. It wasn't obvious there were different types of M.2 until I started looking for the enclosure, at which point I then got a bit confused having looked at so many SSDs and trying to make sure I wasn't getting two of the exact same type lol.