Replacing leaking NiCad batteries with watch battery

I've been bouncing around this newsgroup and the web trying to find
instructions in replacing the nicad battery on my Tron power board with
a watch battery. Anyone know a website with instructions? I think I
need to replace a resistor or somethign next to the battery? TIA!

P.S. i know I can do the phone battery, or the 3 AA's and a diode, but
I would like to try this one. =]

citznfish@gmail.com wrote:
: I've been bouncing around this newsgroup and the web trying to find
: instructions in replacing the nicad battery on my Tron power board with
: a watch battery. Anyone know a website with instructions? I think I
: need to replace a resistor or somethign next to the battery? TIA!

I haven't see instructions on how to do this, but conceptually, you have to modify
the circuit so that it doesn't attempt to charge the battery. And, if you do
it wrong, you will probably have an explosion/fire on your hands, so I
personally wouldn't try this.

I would go with the cordless phone battery on long wires.

http://www.westnet.com/

Christopher X. Candreva wrote:
> citznfish@gmail.com wrote:
> : I've been bouncing around this newsgroup and the web trying to find
> : instructions in replacing the nicad battery on my Tron power board
with
> : a watch battery. Anyone know a website with instructions? I think I
> : need to replace a resistor or somethign next to the battery? TIA!
>
> I haven't see instructions on how to do this, but conceptually, you
have to modify
> the circuit so that it doesn't attempt to charge the battery. And, if
you do
> it wrong, you will probably have an explosion/fire on your hands, so
> personally wouldn't try this.
>
> I would go with the cordless phone battery on long wires.

> Chris Candreva -- chris@westnet.com -- (914) 967-7816
> WestNet Internet Services of Westchester
> http://www.westnet.com/

You have to put in a blocking diode. Then you could put a cr3032
battery holder on and a cr3032 battery which is a 3 volt battery.
You'll be fine at that point. Remember, the banded side has to block
the current, so don't face it towards the battery.

John

Thanks John. I was wondering about the 3v vs 3.6v. :)