[SOLVED] Replacing M.2 SSD with OS on with new one - other drives

Apr 17, 2020
Hi, I want to replace my SSD HD m.2 with the OS on. I have two other HDs with files on. How would this affect them? Would they still hold everything or would it cause issues with opening files/programs int he future?

TIA

Solution
If you Clone the OS drive to the new drive, 2 things will happen once you physically change the drives out. 1. Windows will show the new drive as C drive, 2. Bios will have the new drive as primary boot drive.

That's it.
Hi, I want to replace my SSD HD m.2 with the OS on.
You could clone the old drive into the new drive

I have two other HDs with files on. How would this affect them? Would they still hold everything or would it cause issues with opening files/programs int he future?

TIA
It depends.
If all OS partitions are located on the disk you want to replace, then it should not be an issue.
If you installed the OS when the other two HDD drivers were connected to the system, then Windows could have written partitions into them. To check, power off PC, unplug the two HDD drives and power on your PC. If Windows boots without issues
then you should not have any issues cloning the drive with the Windows OS.

Which motherboard do you have?
What's the size of the old M.2 SSD?
What's' the size of the new M.2 SSD?

Reactions: stevepearce00
Apr 17, 2020
You could clone the old drive into the new drive

It depends.
If all OS partitions are located on the disk you want to replace, then it should not be an issue.
If you installed the OS when the other two HDD drivers were connected to the system, then Windows could have written partitions into them. To check, power off PC, unplug the two HDD drives and power on your PC. If Windows boots without issues
then you should not have any issues cloning the drive with the Windows OS.

Which motherboard do you have?
What's the size of the old M.2 SSD?
What's' the size of the new M.2 SSD?
Ms1 B450
250gb hoping to upgrade to 1tb

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, I want to replace my SSD HD m.2 with the OS on. I have two other HDs with files on. How would this affect them? Would they still hold everything or would it cause issues with opening files/programs int he future?

TIA
Details please.

Size/make/model of all drives involved.
And what is on each.

A screencap of your current Disk Management window would also help.