[SOLVED] Replacing MOBO + CPU + RAM

socraticfrank90

Reputable
Apr 7, 2015
I know this question has probably been asked here before but I can’t for the life of me find a thread or YouTube video or website with this exact worry I have.

I understand that when replacing a mobo cpu and ram (MCR I’ll say for short) you’d need to do a fresh windows install because driver incompatibilities and whatnot.

What I need to know is if the process to begin a fresh install is to just attempt to boot from the existing drive with windows in it???? Or will the process of replacing the MCR automatically wipe the drive or refuse to read the drive?

I understand somewhat the process of transferring the license by calling Microsoft support since I purchased a retail windows 8.1 and upgraded to windows 10.

I built my pc 5 years ago so I’m familiar with all these technicalites and comparability requirements I’m just not sure about the whole MCR replacement and windows transfer.

Solution
you will have to reinstall os since there are old system settings on the drive that will conflict with new system info and made boothing issue and others .