Question Replacing Mobo in the acer tc-780-acki3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spre

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2007
Feb 2018 I bought a acer TC-780-ACKi3 for my daughter(only 10 at the time, did not need a beast nor anything fancy, and it was only 349.00 on amazon at the time) good prebuilt acer for the cost.

fast forward now 15 months later, no boot no post(hsf just spin) and stops power light only illuminates when it does post for a quick second). went through the motions, I have come to the conclusion the board is shot(i think she spilled something and shorted it, there was a line of dried liquid down the back of the case). if i wiggle certain parts IE the VGA port it will post for a quick second and then shut down.

I have been trying to find a decent (non fancy non massive gaming board) that would be compatible with the 7th gen i3-7100 processor and ddr4 2400 ram the current board runs and can take up to 32GB of ram like the stock basic board it has.

90% of what I am finding are all mining boards(definitely not needed) looking to stay under 80 bucks.

Suggestions?

Unfortunately that unit uses an H110 proprietary motherboard in that unit according to the information I can find. You will not be able to just slap a standard micro ATX or ATX motherboard in there. If you want to continue using that system you will HAVE to buy a replacement board specifically designed for that case since the mounting holes for the standoffs, the rear I/O panel alignment and probably also the power supply and connections, will be different than anything available in the aftermarket.

The only other option would be to also replace the case and power supply along with the motherboard.

Motherboard (MBU)

Similar to it’s “bigger brother” this TC-780-ACKi3 uses an Intel H110 Express chipset. Acer have not specified any motherboard model details as it’s most likely an Acer proprietary board.

The board does have a PCIe16 slot if you wish to add a graphics card later but is a bit restrictive on SATA ports. If you want to add another hard drive you may have to remove the Optical drive and use it’s SATA port.

There is a M.2 port provided so you could potentially install an M.2 SSD. Be sure to confirm compatibility before purchasing however as the M.2 NVMe (PCIe) type may not work with this motherboard – you may need the M.2 SATA type.

This should do the trick, although if the system you have now does not have a 120 or 140mm fan installed that you can take out and install in the front of this case as an intake, it would be recommended to also get an additional fan since this case ONLY comes with a single rear 120mm fan and at least one intake and one exhaust fan would be preferable even without a discreet graphics card or high thermal design CPU installed.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock - B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox Q300 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($35.85 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.99 @ B&H)
Total: $118.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-26 02:00 EDT-0400

Status
Not open for further replies.