[SOLVED] Replacing Motherboard in PC Build

Apr 21, 2020
Hey guys,

New poster so sorry if any rules are broken. I had a PC that I had built with the following specs

Gigabyte GA B250M DS3H
Intel I5
Anarchy DDR4 RAM (16GB)
GTX 1070

I recently tried to upgrade both the CPU and the GPU to an I9 and a 2070. The 2070 works perfectly and has given me no issues.

Upon trying to install the I9 in the Gigabyte motherboard I've found out that the motherboard only supports up to the I7. I'm able to make this motherboard setup work with the Anarchy RAM and the GTX 2070.

At this point I grab another motherboard - the MSI Z390-A Pro. I try using the same setup in this computer and I am initially greeted by a screen saying I have an inefficient RAM setup (wrong ports) as well as I need to install Windows on my boot drive (I had installed the SATA cables out of order.) Upon rectifying this, instead of being greeted with the BIOS I am not given a display at all. On the motherboard EZ Debug light I see that the DRAM light is lit for about 80% of the time and the CPU light flashes on when the RAM lights turn off. I try all of the RAM in different slots and one at a time. I also try booting with a minimal setup of just the ATX power cables, 1 stick of ram and the GPU. No luck. I test with new RAM sticks here as well (Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz). The new RAM sticks work in the old motherboard but not the new one.

I try the I5 in the CPU slot on this MOBO and it lights up and turns off immediately. I am still able to use the old motherboard, CPU and RAM with the new graphics card.

Today I grabbed another motherboard to test - the MSI MPG Z390. I test the full setup in this motherboard with the I9 and the new RAM sticks. I'm greeted with the same light in the RAM slot flashing to the CPU occasionally.

I test again all the RAM in the various RAM slots to make sure nothing is malfunctioning here.

When I test the I5 in this motherboard instead of getting the quick shutdown like I did with the other board, the lights all stay on but instead of the DRAM EZ Debug light being lit up it's the CPU one.

The only difference I see with the two MSI motherboards compared to my older one, despite being newer models - is they're both full sized boards and my old one was a micro. I don't see this being an issue but maybe I'm wrong.

Any help here would be great appreciated, this has been driving me crazy and I have thought about just returning the I9 and trying a new one but the fact that my old processor doesn't work in these newer MOBOs is weird too and makes me think maybe the processor isn't just faulty I just have something wrong.

Thank you so much!

Apr 21, 2020
You probably fried (both) your CPU(s) by putting it/them in the wrong socket motherboard.

200 and 300 series boards are not inter-compatible. You have to use the correct SUPPORTED CPU.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-B250M-DS3H-rev-10/support#support-cpu

Well the I5 still works, just not in the newer boards which yeah I guess it wasn't compatible with. You think putting the I9 in the Gigabyte MOBO fried it and that's what's not working? It's a little frustrating because I did look up to see if it would support it but I must've read the wrong Gigabyte page. It's a pretty old motherboard at this point.

Well the I5 still works, just not in the newer boards which yeah I guess it wasn't compatible with. You think putting the I9 in the Gigabyte MOBO fried it and that's what's not working? It's a little frustrating because I did look up to see if it would support it but I must've read the wrong Gigabyte page. It's a pretty old motherboard at this point.
Never know. I’d RMA the board and CPU and start over