Question Replacing motherboard - Will PC still boot to the existing Windows installation ?

bala_4370

Honorable
Apr 7, 2018
Hi,

I am planning to replace my existing Asus 350M-K MOBO with Gigabyte 450M or 550M series MOBO. Am not replacing any other component.

After replacing, will my system boot automatically with the existing Windows 10 OS that is there in the SSD or is there any other process that I need to follow ?

If there are other steps, can you please tell what needs to be done or share any YT link that explains the same. I searched the same but was not able to get a apt one.

My other Specks

Ryzen 3 1300X / 1050TI GPU / 16 GB Crossair RAM / Antec 550 Watts SMPS

Thanks,
Santhosh Balaji.

Hi,

I am planning to replace my existing Asus 350M-K MOBO with Gigabyte 450M or 550M series MOBO. Am not replacing anu other component.

After replacing, will my system boot automatically with the existing Windows 10 OS that is there in the SSD or is there any other process that I need to follow.

If there are other steps, can you please tell what needs to be done or share any YT link that explains the same. I searched the same but was not able to get a apt one.

My other Specks

Thanks,
Santhosh Balaji.
BIOS on new MB will come with safe factory settings so you may have to enter it and make settings similar to what they were when windows were installed. For instance CSM/Legacy or UEFI mode. You also may have to set default disk to BOOT from if you have more than one or if it doesn't recognize it automatically. Eventually will also have to set XMP and settings related to CPU.
If old combo is still working you might want to update chipset drivers to latest first so it recognizes new one right away.

I am planning to replace my existing Asus 350M-K MOBO with Gigabyte 450M or 550M series MOBO.

My other Specks

Depends on exact motherboard and BIOS.
B550 board may not have support for Ryzen 3 1300X.
Check supported processors section for your replacement board (in manufacturer support web page).

USAFRet

Titan
After replacing, will my system boot automatically with the existing Windows 10 OS that is there in the SSD or is there any other process that I need to follow.
AS always with a motherboard swap and old drive+OS, there are 3 possibilities:
1. It works just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've personally had all 3.

TRENDING THREADS