[SOLVED] Replacing motherboard

Mar 21, 2020
I am replacing my motherboard because my current one doesn't support 9th gen CPUs. I have not replaced a motherboard before, so I came here to be 100% sure that I'm doing things right. My question is:
Can someone tell me what I should do before/after replacing the motherboard? I have heard that I should reinstall windows, but do I also wipe my data? I wouldn't mind wiping my drives and start "fresh" as I dont really have anything super important on my computer. If I should wipe my drives, how do I do that? I also have a windows USB stick that im planning to use after the installation, and I assume that won't be too hard to do?

Thank you to anyone who would take their time to answer my question! Really appreciate it

You want to reuse your current case? Well, what is it? Manufacturer & Model number.

You can delete existing partitions on your storage drive at the beginning of the Windows installation. This will give you an empty drive to start with.

Mar 21, 2020
You want to reuse your current case? Well, what is it? Manufacturer & Model number.

You can delete existing partitions on your storage drive at the beginning of the Windows installation. This will give you an empty drive to start with.
I am planning to use the same case. It is a Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout

Mar 21, 2020
Starting fresh:

This question might seem stupid, but do I need to do the first section about creating installation media? I do already have a USB with windows on it

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
This question might seem stupid, but do I need to do the first section about creating installation media? I do already have a USB with windows on it
How old is that USB install media? If more than 6 months old, you might as well make a new one.
Costs nothing except a few minutes to make a new one, saving MUCH more time in the needed updates from using an old one.

Mar 21, 2020
How old is that USB install media? If more than 6 months old, you might as well make a new one.
Costs nothing except a few minutes to make a new one, saving MUCH more time in the needed updates from using an old one.
Yes it is over 6 months old so I will follow your advice and make a new one. Thank you for the help!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS