[SOLVED] replacing motherboard

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
I had an issue where I damaged my board recently and I now have to change it out.

I snagged a decent X570 and a Ryzen 5 3600 in the process, coming from Intel.

Now my previous board was a z370 dp3 with a i5 9400f. I'm not as proficient as I would like to be when it comes to hardware, and especially swapping them out, but I'm quite tech savvy.

Board is in place and most of the components as well, but I'm looking at this cable that previously was attached to F_USB30, I see no such connector on the newer board. Granted, the PSU is ancient and of a unknown brand that followed the computer (yes I know, this needs to be changed asap but Im breaking bank already).

Question is, what does this cable do and is it necessary?

20220307-215957.jpg

20220307-220101.jpg

Appreciate the input.

Solution
About that USB cable - relevant headers on your new board are named F_USB30_1 and F_USB30_2. I find it kind of strange how it was possible to remove the connector form old board with the whole header - after all headers are soldered to board. Did you use a lot of force to disconnect it?
Cheers.

One final question regarding cables and the motherboard;

Is there a specific order these have to be connected?
Yes. Motherboard manual page 21 has all the details you need to properly connect them.

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
I think I've found the F_USB30 on the X570, but it has the same pins sticking out as the cable, not a female receiver. Is this something that comes with the PSU, or do I have to get this myself? Not with the computer atm.

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
That cable comes with the case. Usually the cable should be having the socket not pins. Carefully without breaking anything see whether you have an attachment on the cable which expose the socket.

I'm 100% certain there was nothing on the cable it self, unless I pulled it off too hard and the socket is stuck in the other mobo, I'll check when I get home.

What exactly do you mean with "Carefully without breaking anything see whether you have an attachment on the cable which expose the socket."

Thanks.

Nuwan Fernando

Distinguished
What you understood is correct. Maybe the socket is broken off and attached on the cable, or it's has a kind of an adaptor. Since usually the pins should be on the motherboard and the cable should have the holes. Not the other way around.

Eplex

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2012
What is such an adapter/socket/cable called, if a new one can be attained? I see some cables similar, but these only output to one or two USB slots that comes with the cable, can these be used to connect to the cases USB-ports?

33446I.jpg.webp

About that USB cable - relevant headers on your new board are named F_USB30_1 and F_USB30_2. I find it kind of strange how it was possible to remove the connector form old board with the whole header - after all headers are soldered to board. Did you use a lot of force to disconnect it?
Cheers.

One final question regarding cables and the motherboard;

Is there a specific order these have to be connected?
Yes. Motherboard manual page 21 has all the details you need to properly connect them.

Solution