[SOLVED] REPLACING MSI Z490(carbon)W/ MSI Z490(unify) IS WINDOWS REINSTALL NEEDED?

ajhoey

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I currently have an MSI z490 Gaming Carbon wifi with a problematic M.2 slot. I got a good deal on a used perfect condition Z490 Unify and am replacing. I usually always reinstall fresh windows when Changing MOBOs but that is usally either different socket, Chipset, or brand. This time all those factors are staying the same.

Should I reinstall windows? Its only been 3 months with the Carbon I really dont want to again already had an Z490 ASUS Gaming - E before.
What problems could arise if any?
Will it be ok to just do install where i keep my data if its a must to reinstall?

Solution
It's always highly advised to re-install Windows from scratch since motherboard will "suck" drivers during the installation process. You can simply try and run your old OS and see how it goes. If you have to re-install, do it on a fresh drive to avoid losing data. If you do not format your drive during installation, your data may be kept in a windows.old file but you should make a back-up to ensure no data loss
I currently have an MSI z490 Gaming Carbon wifi with a problematic M.2 slot. I got a good deal on a used perfect condition Z490 Unify and am replacing. I usually always reinstall fresh windows when Changing MOBOs but that is usally either different socket, Chipset, or brand. This time all those factors are staying the same.

Should I reinstall windows? Its only been 3 months with the Carbon I really dont want to again already had an Z490 ASUS Gaming - E before.
What problems could arise if any?
Will it be ok to just do install where i keep my data if its a must to reinstall?
you dont need to reinstall the windows, but you might want to reinstall the drivers.

reinstalling windows is necessary when lots of problem arise after replacing the board.

It's always highly advised to re-install Windows from scratch since motherboard will "suck" drivers during the installation process. You can simply try and run your old OS and see how it goes. If you have to re-install, do it on a fresh drive to avoid losing data. If you do not format your drive during installation, your data may be kept in a windows.old file but you should make a back-up to ensure no data loss

Solution

TRENDING THREADS