[SOLVED] Replacing my 10 year old Monitor - Need advice!

Sep 21, 2019
So I’ve been using the same 720p HP monitor since 2009. I recently finally took the time to build my first pc. I’m trying to decide if I should stick with a 60Hz monitor or go for somewhere in the range of 100-144. I dabble in all sorts of gaming and I’m not sure how my pc will hold up to 144Hz. The monitor I’m currently looking at is the Asus VG279Q. I would ideally like IPS. Probably stick with 1080p. Running a EVGA GTX 980ti SC, i5 8400, and 12 gigs of ram(swapped from previous pc, will be throwing 16 gigs in when I buy the monitor)
Will I be able to keep up or should I just opt to stay with a 60Hz? If I do go for the 144Hz Asus, can I efficiently lock Hz lower while gaming say, an RPG, and use it at 144 for competitive gaming?

Solution
VA is a type of panel that tries to bring a good balance between TN's low response times and IPS's better colors and viewing angles while offering high refresh rates and for a price that's in between the two.

I would go with the VA panel since it's gonna be more than good enough.
Also because it's cheaper, and 24" is more ideal for a 1080p resolution.

And if the adaptive sync will work for you then at that price point I don't see why not to get it.
let's face it though, almost anything would be a worth while upgrade from your current monitor.

As it is I have a TN panel monitor that is G-Sync, 1440p, 144Hz and 27"
I have no issues with the colors on it, and viewing angles don't really matter since it's not a TV and I'm always directly...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Lots of games offer frame rate limiters in settings, but alternatively with a high refresh rate monitor you can change its refresh rate to lower settings then turn on Vsync in game to remove the tearing.

Or leave it alone and still turn on Vsync.

If you opt for adaptive sync then no need to mess with anything and instead just adjust graphic settings and balance visuals with frame rates. No Vsync or changing monitor refresh rate required

Sep 21, 2019
Lots of games offer frame rate limiters in settings, but alternatively with a high refresh rate monitor you can change its refresh rate to lower settings then turn on Vsync in game to remove the tearing.

Or leave it alone and still turn on Vsync.

If you opt for adaptive sync then no need to mess with anything and instead just adjust graphic settings and balance visuals with frame rates. No Vsync or changing monitor refresh rate required
Perfect. Seems to be the info I was after thanks.
When you say adaptive sync, would I have to opt for a Gsync monitor to utilize not needing to mess with refresh rates? Gsync just seems out of my price range. I'm hoping to keep it around $400 CDN. Pretty well dead on price with the Asus VG279Q.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Some FreeSync panels work with Gsync.
Start by googling for info about any of these monitors working with Gsync.

Start with the optix and work your way through the list.

I've filtered it already by both VA and IPS as well as adaptive sync and 100hz or higher and then price low to high.

All you gotta do is just find info from someone somewhere confirming of any of these monitors work with gsync

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#X=0,45800&sort=price&D=100000,240000&A=2&P=2,4

Sep 21, 2019
Some FreeSync panels work with Gsync.
Start by googling for info about any of these monitors working with Gsync.

Start with the optix and work your way through the list.

I've filtered it already by both VA and IPS as well as adaptive sync and 100hz or higher and then price low to high.

All you gotta do is just find info from someone somewhere confirming of any of these monitors work with gsync

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#X=0,45800&sort=price&D=100000,240000&A=2&P=2,4
So from what I gather, both the MSI Optix G42C and the Asus VG279Q work with Gsync.
The big differences I’m seeing are the Asus being IPS and MSI being VA-is there a large difference?
The Asus has 27’’ screen vs MSI 24” curved-I’ve read 27” isn’t ideal for 1080p so the MSI likely wins there I assume.
And last the price. MSI being much more affordable.
I like both, I guess I just have to decide What would have the better impact...having the IPS or smaller curves screen. I wish I had somewhere to see them both in person to compare.
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/0edbbc8ad

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
VA is a type of panel that tries to bring a good balance between TN's low response times and IPS's better colors and viewing angles while offering high refresh rates and for a price that's in between the two.

And if the adaptive sync will work for you then at that price point I don't see why not to get it.
let's face it though, almost anything would be a worth while upgrade from your current monitor.

I have no issues with the colors on it, and viewing angles don't really matter since it's not a TV and I'm always directly in front of it at my desk (who the heck uses a monitor at an angle off the the side anyways? lol)

Sure, the colors don't pop out like crazy, but they aren't that inaccurate either, just not as vibrant as an IPS panel would be, but for you that's where a VA panel will come in and give better color vibrance closer to IPS.

And if you don't end up liking it, you can perform a return on it.

Last edited:
Solution
Sep 21, 2019
VA is a type of panel that tries to bring a good balance between TN's high low response times and IPS's better colors and viewing angles while offering high refresh rates and for a price that's in between the two.

I have no issues with the colors on it, and viewing angles don't really matter since it's not a TV and I'm always directly in front of it at my desk (who the heck uses a monitor at an angle off the the side anyways? lol)

Sure, the colors don't pop out like crazy, but they aren't that inaccurate either, just not as vibrant as an IPS panel would be, but for you that's where a VA panel will come in and give better color vibrance closer to IPS.

And if you don't end up liking it, you can perform a return on it.
You sold me entirely on the MSI... then I did a bit of research and found out my 980ti won't actually support freesync technology :disrelieved:
Hindered by DisplayPort 1.2. Need 1.2a from what I read. Not seeing anything G-Sync in my price range even in a TN panel. Back to the drawing board I guess. Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Last edited: