Replacing my HD with an SSD - How can I restore Windows to an exact copy of what it is now?

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
I've got an HP PAvilion gaming laptop which I bought last year. It was a bargain that seemed too good to be true, and ideed that was the case - for all its excellent spec, the hard drive in it is the slowest in existance, meaning that it's just maxed out all the time.

I've bought a Samsung 860 Evo to replace the Hard Drive. When I've done this on my mac, I've been able to use Time Machine to create a system image on an external drive, meaning the computer can just restore from that to exactly what I had before.

I understand this can be done using Windows Backup and Restore or something, but as I'll basically only get one shot at this I don't want to mess up.

I'd be really grateful if someone could talk me through what I need to do to get this set up right so that when I boot up after fitting the SSD, I can just restore everything to its current state.

Thanks very much!

Solution

Now that we have relevant numbers, this fits.
A direct clone operation will work.

Exactly like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the...

USAFRet

Titan

'How' depends on size.

How much total space is consumed on your current drive?
What size is the new SSD?

If the size things fit, we can easily clone everything from the old drive to the new drive.

And it's not a "one shot". If things mess up, you regroup and do it again.

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017

Thanks, this is helpful. My HD is 1TB, the SSD is 500GB. I have an M.2 slot available if I want to add extra in future, but that's not relevant now!

314GB of my HD has been used so far. Can you just clone?

USAFRet

Titan

Now that we have relevant numbers, this fits.
A direct clone operation will work.

Exactly like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

Solution