Question Replacing my PSU fan. Need some help with reverse wiring.

Sep 16, 2019
I'm planning to replace the original fan in my Antec CP850 PSU with a Scythe Grand Flex.
The problem is that you have to swap the pins from left to right as the original fans wires are reverse connected to the PSU.
How do you do this exactly ?
Do I have to reverse the wires in the Scythe fans female connector ? Can I even do this without breaking that plastic piece or you need to buy a new connector ?
Or is there another method ?
A reverse wired extension cable would be nice but I guess I won't find any of these online.
Thanks for for any help !

Last edited:

mangaman

Honorable
Why do you need a new fan? If its not broken, don't fix it. The fan that was installed with that PSU was made for that unit. Changing things around will void your warranty and could cause damage to the PSU.

If the fan is going bad, it's better to buy a brand new PSU, instead of swapping things around.

If the fan is fine, don't do anything. Your PSU is fine the way it is.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Why do you need a new fan? If its not broken, don't fix it. The fan that was installed with that PSU was made for that unit. Changing things around will void your warranty and could cause damage to the PSU.

If the fan is going bad, it's better to buy a brand new PSU, instead of swapping things around.

If the fan is fine, don't do anything. Your PSU is fine the way it is.

True that, NEVER poke around in a PSU! Some components can still be charged, and deliver a nasty shock!

Only replace the fan if it's broken and money is reeeeally tight, otherwise get a new PSU.

I'm planning to replace the original fan in my Antec CP850 PSU with a Scythe Grand Flex.
The problem is that you have to swap the pins from left to right as the original fans wires are reverse connected to the PSU.
How do you do this exactly ?
Do I have to reverse the wires in the Scythe fans female connector ? Can I even do this without breaking that plastic piece or you need to buy a new connector ?
Or is there another method ?
A reverse wired extension cable would be nice but I guess I won't find any of these online.
Thanks for for any help !

Umm... No. All PC fans rotate in the same direction producing the same direction of airflow.

Unless you mean to say the POLARITY is reversed on the Scythe connector vs. the Antec connectors?

You simply wouldn't use the connector on the Scythe fan. You would cut the wires of both fans and then splice the wires back together (red to red, black to black).

That said... I know you're doing this because the fan died in your Antec PSU and it's a proprietary PSU for your particular case. But that PSU is OLD (10 years) and the form factor idea was stupid.

Buy a new PSU and case. It's time.