[SOLVED] Replacing my PSU.

Apr 7, 2020
Hello,
I have the intention of replacing my PSU and I was settled to replace it with a 550w one instead of the 650w I currently have, when I contacted a shop about it they recommended I would get a 600w minimum even though I don't think I'll need that much and since I'll need to pay extra I have to feel sure now.

My Setup:
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k
  • GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
  • Motherboard: Z87-G45 Gaming (MS-7821)
  • HDD: 1TB Western Digital Blue (WD10EZEX-00KUWA0)
  • RAM: G.Skill F3-12800CL9-4GBXL(4gb)(x2) DDR3 & Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9(4gb)(x2) DDR3 - total 16gb(1600Mhz)
  • PSU: XFX PRO 650w Core Edition
Do I really need a 600w PSU? I need thoughts and opinion on it. I do use the PC to do gaming a lot, won't overclock it.
Oh and the PSU I was gonna replace mine with was the Corsair CX-550W.
I have my setup for 7 years now and I would like it to last a few more till I totally buy a new setup, I've had problems with it that seem to be aiming for a faulty PSU since if my PC shutdowns and I switch the PSU off and on it will not give power to my PC, I either have to wait a long time or get lucky that it gives power, I've had random freezing when doing gaming which forces me to force shutdown my PC etc, problems kept happening till one day it won't power my PC anymore, according to some crash dumps a dev had from Blizzard I had crashes on it due to 'insufficient voltage to the GPU'.. Etc, anyways this is why I am replacing the PSU, really hope it isnt a GPU or Motherboard problem x_x

Last edited:
Solution
Hmm, that might be the older CX, then. At least on NewEgg in the US, the 2017 version of the CX550 shows a 5 year warranty.

I don't know much about BitFenix, but overall this review here at Toms Hardware seems to be happy with it. Link is to the last page (summary/conclusion).

The conclusion page at jonnyguru for the 750W version also seems to be positive.

Between the two of them, I'd say it's a safe bet. You are talking about the Formula 650 Gold, correct?
check the product specifications recommended wattage for your GPU. then add ~100w for extra components and further upgrades.

search here at Tom's for articles about power supply reliability and recommended models. even some of the best manufacturers put out unreliable low rated models that should be avoided.

Apr 7, 2020
check the product specifications recommended wattage for your GPU. then add ~100w for extra components and further upgrades.

search here at Tom's for articles about power supply reliability and recommended models. even some of the best manufacturers put out unreliable low rated models that should be avoided.
According to what I've read I need a 450w-500w PSU for a 660ti, adding 100 to it would make it 550 or 600..
I initially chose the Corsair CX-550 due to lab tests that I saw that proved it's solid, efficient and even if it's a 80-Bronze it shows signs of being closer to Silver than bronze.. Other technical things I wouldn't understand but from what I had seen from the lab tests it's a good PSU overall.

The extra cost of a more powerful PSU compared to the cost of the computer and how long you will be using it for is nothing. Don't cheap out on the part that can kill your whole computer, much better to be over what you need than under or at the limit. Aside from that thought, a good 550 watt should be OK as long as you don't start overclocking things. But with a 650 you don't need to bother asking people if a 550 is enough and a new good quality PSU you can easily move to a new system so it's not like you are wasting money.

Apr 7, 2020
The extra cost of a more powerful PSU compared to the cost of the computer and how long you will be using it for is nothing. Don't cheap out on the part that can kill your whole computer, much better to be over what you need than under or at the limit. Aside from that thought, a good 550 watt should be OK as long as you don't start overclocking things. But with a 650 you don't need to bother asking people if a 550 is enough and a new good quality PSU you can easily move to a new system so it's not like you are wasting money.
I fully agree with that thought but the issue here would be budget, sadly, but I guess I'll be willing to get a 600w PSU, that is if I find one in a shop where it doesn't cost 20-30 euros more than the Corsair CX I was gonna get, I'm thinking of giving the PC to a family member once I would get a full new setup in a few years.

In this case I need suggestions I guess of what PSU to get which could either be a 600w or 650w as long as the price isn't so far of from the Corsair CX-550

On the store I was going to buy a PSU, their cheap 600w is a Kolink Enclave which I do not trust but I may be wrong thinking it's not a great PSU. There's others that already go over the 80 € mark. (be quiet, win desert, etc..)
As for 620w PSUs, on the store there's Seasonic M12II Evo Edition and Seasonic S12II at good pricings.
As for 650w PSUs, on the store there's a Seasonic S12III at good pricing.

My budget is 70-75€(probably able to squeeze 1-3 € more if needed). I am not sure what to get with this budget if I would get a 600w-650w PSU

For reference if someone would find a good PSU on the store I am trying to buy it from, the store website is this one: https://www.globaldata.pt/componentes/fontes/fontes/atx?price=24.00-78.00 (It already has a filter for pricing from 24 to 78, I'm sorry for it being in Portuguese but if it helps you guys helping me in any way that'll be neat - also sorry for linking if I am not supposed to~)

I can buy the PSU from some other store but this one is the easiest accessible one for me atm and would be great to be able to buy it from there.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020
I've seen my options between 600w-650w
I do not know which to get due to the lack of reviews and information, maybe I ain't good at getting such information but these are the PSUs so far that go into my budget range:
  • Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600w Sleeved 80+
  • be quiet! Pure Power 10 600W 80+ Silver
  • Kolink Enclave Modular 600W 80+ Gold
  • Seasonic Modular M12II 620W Evo Edition 80+ Bronze
  • Seasonic S12III 650W 80+ Bronze
I don't know which would be the 'Best' for my gaming Setup.

I do not know which to get due to the lack of reviews and information
like i stated earlier,
search here at Tom's for articles about power supply reliability and recommended models.
there are multiple stickied threads here in the Hardware\Power Supplies forum.
you can read and learn and decide for yourself what is the best option so you don't need to depend on other member's opinions of what may be good for you. many times you'll only get some manufacturer fanboy directing to something that isn't the best option price or performance-wise.

I've seen my options between 600w-650w
I do not know which to get due to the lack of reviews and information, maybe I ain't good at getting such information but these are the PSUs so far that go into my budget range:
  • Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 600w Sleeved 80+
  • be quiet! Pure Power 10 600W 80+ Silver
  • Kolink Enclave Modular 600W 80+ Gold
  • Seasonic Modular M12II 620W Evo Edition 80+ Bronze
  • Seasonic S12III 650W 80+ Bronze
I don't know which would be the 'Best' for my gaming Setup.

If you are really limited to those, the newer model Corsair you first was looking at is fine. The Seasonic models are great but older design. Pricing and what you can get depends on your area, on sites like Amazon and Newegg the higher end power supplies can go on sale for decent prices but if you can't order from there you are limited in your options. I remember my son got a EVGA SuperNova 750 watt for well under $100.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
My "really off the cuff" calculation:
  • CPU: 84W, but let's say 120 for a bit of cautious overclocking.
  • GPU: 150W, but let's say 190.
  • Everything else: let's overestimate it at 140W.
That means that we're looking at 450W power draw if everything was maxed out. I doubt you'd ever actually hit that number.

A good quality 550W power supply would be sufficient. The Corsair CX 550 (2017) should do it. I'd be much more comfortable with a Corsair TX, though. A Seasonic Focus would be excellent, as well.

I would avoid the Cooler Master, Kolnick, and S12III (not to be confused with the S12II) like the plague. Not sure about the Be Quiet model.

Take a look at the first link in my sig: it's a must-read for PSU selection.
What country are you buying in?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
No, not a 140W PSU... I was calculating how much power each component would draw, then coming up with a total. The 140W I stated was a higher number than probably realistic estimate for the total consumption of motherboard, RAM, fans, and hard drives combined. Basically, everything else besides the CPU and GPU.

I did a search on https://pt.pcpartpicker.com/products/power-supply/#A=550000000000,2000000000000&sort=price and in the search filter in the upper right, I put
focus|cx|tx|rm

The prices in Portugal are pretty high. Can you order from other countries in Europe? I know Germany has lower prices, but I don't know how shipping and crossing borders affects things in the EU.

Apr 7, 2020
The prices in Portugal are pretty high. Can you order from other countries in Europe? I know Germany has lower prices, but I don't know how shipping and crossing borders affects things in the EU.
Unfortunately I would like to order outside of Portugal but there's personal reasons and some COVID-19 things that makes me unable to order outside, right now best options is to order from a shop near me/Portugal. Oh and I had intention of making the shop do the installing/testing, cable management and maybe a full case+parts clean up cause I am not informed on such unfortunately.

Apr 7, 2020
Well, if you're stuck with the ones you listed, or the CX 550 (and have them ensure that it's the later 2017 model), then I'd say the CX 550.
I am afraid it would be insufficient tho or would give problems as time goes.
I found a 650w that seems to be good on reviews, not much cons at all, the BitFenix Formula 650W. Would that be a good pick?

Anyways if indeed the CX still ends up being the best choice nothing much I can do. The CX tho has a 3 year warranty according to the website, and BitFenix has a 5 year warranty.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hmm, that might be the older CX, then. At least on NewEgg in the US, the 2017 version of the CX550 shows a 5 year warranty.

I don't know much about BitFenix, but overall this review here at Toms Hardware seems to be happy with it. Link is to the last page (summary/conclusion).

The conclusion page at jonnyguru for the 750W version also seems to be positive.

Between the two of them, I'd say it's a safe bet. You are talking about the Formula 650 Gold, correct?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS