Replacing my XBOX 360

Nexus21

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
So my experience with the XBOX 360 has been disappointing to say the least. It began with the inevitable Red Ring of Death, followed by several weeks of dealing with Microsoft Tech Support to have my console "refurbished." They ended up sending me a console with a much louder fan and that ended up arc-scratching my games (RIP Assassin's Creed). So now that my console has been rendered unusable, I am looking to replace it.

Before I had decided to do this I took my console to a Play-N-Trade to see if they could repair the arc-scratching, but instead the clerk who was working there (who I knew personally) recommended that I buy the XBOX 360 Arcade since I already had a hard drive and because it was supposed to have a better chipset than the previous version.

So I wanted to ask you all what your opinion is of what I should do. I have already decided that it would be a better investment to buy a new console than to try and have it repaired only to break down again, but the main issue is which version of the console I should get.

I should mention that I still have the controller, hard drive, XBOX Live subscription, and headset from my previous console.

What do you think?

krjcook

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Go ahead and get the Arcade, it runs the same hardware as the newer elite and has a 1-5% Failure rate. Seeing as this thread is 8 days old you probably turned to a friend and already made a decision.

G

I knowhow to repair the ring of death. Send me an email,and I'll tell you.

I had the same problem with an old 360 that I had. After 1 year of use I got the ring of death and RMA'ed the dam console. Then they repaired it and the same thing happened again. Ended up RMA'ing for the second time and finally got a new console.

I would get the arcade and swap hard-drives. You basically get the updated version that does not have any issues.

I tried repairing the console myself but it would still overheat no matter what.. Cheapo parts from MS... very unacceptable considering the amount of money I spent on it when it came out....