Replacing northbridge fan on Asus A8V-E

I want to replace the noisy fan of my new mb's chipset and, not having
done something like this before, I am reluctant to just pull it off,
as it seems to be very well "stuck" on the northbridge.
Can anyone tell me what procedure I should follow to do it without
damaging anything? Should I do it with the motherboard screwed in the
case, or should I take it off first?
Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

On 9 Mar 2005 12:17:12 -0500,
arokaria@hotmail-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (merendona) wrote:

>I want to replace the noisy fan of my new mb's chipset and, not having
>done something like this before, I am reluctant to just pull it off,
>as it seems to be very well "stuck" on the northbridge.
>Can anyone tell me what procedure I should follow to do it without
>damaging anything? Should I do it with the motherboard screwed in the
>case, or should I take it off first?
>Any advice much appreciated, thanks!

I don't have a good pic of that board but doesn't the 'sink
have push-pins on 2 corners? If so, yes you'd have to pull
the board out of the case, unless you wanted to be bold and
just snip off the plastic pins at the top, which would ruin
them but it wouldn't matter so long as the alternate 'sink
has suitable pins (that came with it?).

After the push pins are out it'd be either thermal grease or
a phase-change pad on the bottom, probably grease. Once the
pins are out it should be easy to tell, as the sink would
rotate fairly easily if grease, not budge at all if an
(already melted-on) phase-change pad, or easily come off
entirely if the chip had never gotten hot enough to melt the
phase-change pad. If it's a melted phase-change pad that's
the toughest type, your options then are to just twist/pull
as gently as possible, or put it in- A) freeze so it gets
brittle, or B) Run it at full load with fan unplugged to
soften it up some then remove it immediately after powering
off system.

Either way it's not hard, just be careful that if/when the
force of pulling it off, succeeds, the 'sink doesn't end up
coming in contact with anything around it (like capacitors
or cards).

Xman

maybe http://www.plsgoogleit.com/

On 9 Mar 2005 12:17:12 -0500, wrote:

> I don't have a good pic of that board but doesn't the 'sink
> have push-pins on 2 corners? If so, yes you'd have to pull
> the board out of the case, unless you wanted to be bold and
> just snip off the plastic pins at the top, which would ruin
> them but it wouldn't matter so long as the alternate 'sink
> has suitable pins (that came with it?).
>
> After the push pins are out it'd be either thermal grease or
> a phase-change pad on the bottom, probably grease. Once the
> pins are out it should be easy to tell, as the sink would
> rotate fairly easily if grease, not budge at all if an
> (already melted-on) phase-change pad, or easily come off
> entirely if the chip had never gotten hot enough to melt the
> phase-change pad. If it's a melted phase-change pad that's
> the toughest type, your options then are to just twist/pull
> as gently as possible, or put it in- A) freeze so it gets
> brittle, or B) Run it at full load with fan unplugged to
> soften it up some then remove it immediately after powering
> off system.
>
> Either way it's not hard, just be careful that if/when the
> force of pulling it off, succeeds, the 'sink doesn't end up
> coming in contact with anything around it (like capacitors
> or cards).

I'd like to thank you for the informative and really helpful answer,
most of all for the time you took to write it!
The northbridge had a melted pad and I used the full load, fan
unplugged trick to remove it. It was not hard, as you said.
I replaced it with a passive Zalman heatsink and everything's quieter
now!
Thanks again!