[SOLVED] Replacing old HDD for new HDD for bigger storage

ChangedNamedCz

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
Hi, it's me again, I'm always must be having some issues. I decided to change my old HDD (which had only 252 GB, and about 130 GB left for installing) for new HDD with 500 GB, the storage doesn't matter, but when I connect the new HDD (also internal, but I don't need 2 HDD at a moment, my PSU is old and wouldn't be able to power up to two HDD's) I get to "press F2 to load default values and continue" and then to that booting error with inserting media - "Reboot and select and then press a key". I got my old Windows 7 cd, I was able to boot from it, but I had some problems with installing Win 7. If there's a way how to boot from my old HDD, but actually having my new HDD. The BIOS is from American Megatrends. And if there's a way I don't lose anything on my old HDD and it would be on the new one, it would be cool, but I won't mind. I also tried booting from flash USB, but then it wanted me to "replace the disk and then press a key" at same error with "Reboot and select". I can try to buy the new cables and having two HDD working together, but they are both internal and my PSU probably won't be able to hold it.

Solution
It is very hard to believe that your PSU would not be able to handle having an additional HDD attached, as they take very little power. Please provide some hardware model details.

Most likely, the best course would be to attach both drives and clone the old one to the new one using the free version of Macrium Reflect. Just scroll down a little to where it says Home Use free version on the left side of the page.

Just in case you need it in making the change, create a Windows 7 system repair disk by typing that in the run window and following the wizard directions with a blank CD or DVD.

RealBeast

Titan
It is very hard to believe that your PSU would not be able to handle having an additional HDD attached, as they take very little power. Please provide some hardware model details.

Most likely, the best course would be to attach both drives and clone the old one to the new one using the free version of Macrium Reflect. Just scroll down a little to where it says Home Use free version on the left side of the page.

Just in case you need it in making the change, create a Windows 7 system repair disk by typing that in the run window and following the wizard directions with a blank CD or DVD.

Solution

ChangedNamedCz

Prominent
Jun 18, 2020
I can try to send you it from Speccy. As you say, if PSU would handle it, can I have two internal HDD working together? If yes so, I would be able to boot it then somehow, but I don't know how to plug wider SATA cable into the PSU, I will look at it, thanks.

TRENDING THREADS