Replacing old thermal compound

matt85

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hi,
I've got a laptop that's overheating. I think the original thermal paste has probably dried out and isn't conducting heat very well any more.

I've got some ArctiClean and some Arctic MX-4 thermal compound to replace the old stuff with but I'm not really sure what the best way of cleaning the old paste off is.

The instructions for the ArctiClean suggest taking the CPU out of the computer first but my worries about that are static, damaging the pins and the CPU/Motherboard.

I've seen some suggestions saying that it's ok to leave the CPU in the motherboard but I'm not sure if that's the best thing to do.

Will ArctiClean damage the board if some of it spills onto it while I'm cleaning the CPU or will it get into the sockets for the CPU pins and damage them or anything?

Also I've got a non electrically conductive thermal compound so does that mean it's safe if some of that leaks off the CPU onto the board when I put the heatsink back on top of it?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Matt

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I always just used a paper towel to wipe the processor down first, then used qtips dipped in rubbing alcohol to finish it off. All while leaving the processor in the laptop.

Just don't do something stupid like pooring the cleaning solution directly on the CPU :p

As for the thermal compound, you really don't need a lot. Just put a small dot on the processor and then spread it around with whatever you are going to use (small piece of cardboard cut from a cereal box works great).

matt85

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
Hi nordlead,
The instructions for the ArctiClean are to put a few drops of the solution onto the die of the CPU and it will then emulsify any old compound that's there so that it can easily be wiped off.

So potentially there is a risk there of the solution dripping off the die and onto the motherboard.

Not sure if that solution would then damage the board.

Do you think it's better to spread the compound before putting the heat sink back on or is it better to let the pressure of the heat sink spread the compound when you put it back together?

nordlead

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
tom's ate my reply :-(

Anyways, using a q-tip will still spread the cleaning solution over the compound causing it to emulsify. If you want to put it directly on then I suggest buying an eye-dropper which can be bought at various stores like a pet store or pharmacy. Even if a tiny bit gets on the motherboard, clean it up and thoroughly let it dry and you should have no problem.

As for the compound, since it is non-conductive it is ok to get on the pins, but you really don't want to. You shouldn't be putting so much on that lots of it is spilling over the sides. I don't subscribe to putting one big glop on and letting the heatsink spread it since it does not guarantee 100% coverage (it could all come out one side). Even if you spread a thin layer over the CPU it will be enough to fill in all the irregularities between the CPU and heatsink and it allows you to make sure you aren't having a lot spill over the sides. You can even leave a small (~1mm) edge around the CPU to be covered by the heatsink spreading the compound.

matt85

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2011
The Arcticlean solutions are in bottles like you'd get eye drops in so that should be ok for controlling the amount I put on. It's probably a good idea though to just put a couple of drops on and then spread it around with a cotton bud rather than trying to drip the solution on all the grease it needs to dissolve then

If I do get something on the board, what's the best way to clean it off without causing damage? Would trying to use a cloth or something like that introduce static to the board?