Question Replacing old thermaltake tt700w psu before it goes kaboom

Feb 21, 2023
I have an r5 1600 and rx580 (undervolted) and have been using for years the thermaltake psu with no issues but I am aware that it's not too good of a psu and I wish to upgrade to a safer psu.
I found both a Corsair CX550F and a XPG Pylon650B for around $55 and $45 usd respectively and i'm unsure wich one to pick and if there are better alternatives.

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Use the Tier list.

Pick something that goes with your system.

I like to buy once cry once. (Also use the search) this is a very common questions.

We wont' be able to answer you, cause you gave us no specs, no road map, no budget, basically zero information.

Welcome to the forums :)

Reactions: ElZers
Feb 21, 2023
Thank you I'm excited to be a part of this amazing forum :D

I already saw the tierlist and found those two psu on my local stores, I have a r5 1600, b350m, rx 580 with undervolt, 2x8gb ddr4, 2x 7.2k rpm hhd, 1x m.2 ssd, and a SATA ssd.
I recall that the power consumption calculator said that it had like 370w and 400 or so.

The tierlist says the cx550f is a good b tier psu tho I saw some complaints on amazon but most of em were from people that got sent already opened/tampered packages probably refurbished units or something odd. Maybe i'm worrying too much. it

I used Solotodo (a Chilean page that collects prices from most chilean tech stores) to check wich new PSUs where available from the list at a reasonable price.
My budget is around $40~60 or more, I don't want to get a bad psu and I believe a high end is unnecessary because I won't be upgrading my system except for disks and cooling, maybe a second hand r5 3600 if they get cheap enough and a extra fans/cpu heatsink.

Reactions: sonofjesse
Feb 21, 2023
Also a friend of mine is on the same page but with an i5 2500k and a 9600gt.
He uses the pc mostly for office work/coding so he wont upgrade much more than a couple hdd/ssd and ram. He is using a generic very old psu. Has a budget of around $80 max, I believe a cx550f is more than enough? But I wanted to make sure it's a good psu before buying anything.
I don't know if this is relevant but the only cx550f that are available are white colored I guess it's just esthetic tho.

TRENDING THREADS