[SOLVED] Replacing outer fan on beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4.

lukemurtagh1995

Commendable
Oct 7, 2017
Hello all,

I am thinking of getting the Dark Rock Pro 4 to replace my current Noctua NHD-15 as I prefer the dark look of the former compared to the brown look of the latter.

Since I'm not a fan (no pun intended) of having RGB all over my case I was thinking instead of having just one RBG fan to illuminate the inside of my case. To do this I believe I could just replace the stock fan that attaches to the outside of my Dark Rock Pro 4 with a suitable RGB fan. Does anyone see any potential issues with this? I presume it could be mounted like the stock fans but I'm not entirely sure. I also have low-profile RAM (Corsair Vengeance LPX) so hopefully that won't be an issue either.

Thanks!

Solution
Even if RGB fan is same size as stock fan (120mm x 120mm x 23mm) then there is a mounting issue. Stock fan has it's screw holes in the middle of the fan (when looking at the side of the fan), while most fans have screw holes at the outer and inner edge of the fan (when looking at the side of the fan).

Image:
ImageServer.php

In other words, fan mounting clip/wire won't reach far enough to mount a standard fan.

That's not all. Unless the RGB fan isn't high static pressure fan (as stock fan is), you'd loose on CPU cooling performance as well.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Even if RGB fan is same size as stock fan (120mm x 120mm x 23mm) then there is a mounting issue. Stock fan has it's screw holes in the middle of the fan (when looking at the side of the fan), while most fans have screw holes at the outer and inner edge of the fan (when looking at the side of the fan).

Image:
ImageServer.php

In other words, fan mounting clip/wire won't reach far enough to mount a standard fan.

That's not all. Unless the RGB fan isn't high static pressure fan (as stock fan is), you'd loose on CPU cooling performance as well.

Solution