Replacing PC battery

My Dimension XPS R400 is approaching 6 years of age and I'm thinking
about replacing the battery now instead of waiting for it to die . . .

Will the BIOS lose its settings when I pop out the old battery to
replace it with the new one or will it retain the settings?

If I need to record the BIOS settings before I pop out the old
battery, what is the easiest way to do it?

Thanks!

George
gearlnospamno@nospamcomcast.net

George Earl wrote:
> My Dimension XPS R400 is approaching 6 years of age and I'm thinking
> about replacing the battery now instead of waiting for it to die . . .

<Trimmed>

I can't help but think of the story (possibly apocryphal) I read once of
the guy who went to his local computer store to get a battery for just
this person. Supposedly the sale clerk said "Dude, you don't need to
replace your battery, you need to replace your *computer*!".

Bob Pownall

George,

Yes, it's about time to replace that battery!

The BIOS CMOS will lose its settings when the battery is removed, unless you can
slide the new battery in within seconds. Don't depend on it though. There are
bits and pieces of old shareware around to save and restore CMOS settings. But
the settings are very straightforward and you can hardly go wrong by using the
default settings (F5 key, I think). The Dell BIOS autodetects the hard drives
and CD-ROM or CD-RW drive, a real problem in the past (10 years ago) with older
BIOSes. You might also check the printer settings and make sure that the
parallel printer interface is set to ECP, the most common setting used by
bi-directional parallel printers. You might also jot down the boot device info,
especially if you ever want to boot the system from floppy or CD. And make note
of the power settings... Ben Myers

"George Earl" <gearl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My Dimension XPS R400 is approaching 6 years of age and I'm thinking
> about replacing the battery now instead of waiting for it to die . . .

good idea.

> Will the BIOS lose its settings when I pop out the old battery to
> replace it with the new one or will it retain the settings?

yes, but the R400 ran entirely off default settings anyways, so... no
problem.

> If I need to record the BIOS settings before I pop out the old
> battery, what is the easiest way to do it?

Pencil & Paper. Seriously, default settings should be fine, unless you've
got some *really* strange equipment inside (strange for the R400 time
period).

Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
for rates and online chat

- "Techno-weenie" should be said with RESPECT!

"Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> George Earl wrote:
>> My Dimension XPS R400 is approaching 6 years of age and I'm thinking
>> about replacing the battery now instead of waiting for it to die . . .
>>
> <Trimmed>
>
> I can't help but think of the story (possibly apocryphal) I read once of
> the guy who went to his local computer store to get a battery for just
> this person. Supposedly the sale clerk said "Dude, you don't need to
> replace your battery, you need to replace your *computer*!".

True story, actually.
I was fixing up a system for a client who had a button battery (not the
round tank type) that was soldered to the motherboard.
I told him: Take this to a tech *shop*, and they should be able to replace
your battery for around $5.oo, $10 max with labor.
I warned him: DO NOT let them sell you a new computer. You don't NEED a
new computer for your workload. ALL you need is just this battery replaced.
He came back with a new motherboard, cpu, OS, etc....

Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor
http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk
for rates and online chat

- "Techno-weenie" should be said with RESPECT!

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 12:08:30 -0600, "personalpages.tds.net/~rcsilk"
<dick_silk@antispam.gov> wrote:

>> If I need to record the BIOS settings before I pop out the old
>> battery, what is the easiest way to do it?
>
>Pencil & Paper. Seriously, default settings should be fine, unless you've
>got some *really* strange equipment inside (strange for the R400 time
>period).
>
>Dick Silk -- The Computer Tutor

Well, I did add a Promise card, off of which I have hung a second hard
drive and my cd burner . . . otherwise it's pretty standard . . .

Thanks, all, for your comments.

George
gearlnospamno@nospamcomcast.net

If you have a digital camera, you can photograph the screen (s) to record
the settings.

Jim

"George Earl" <gearl@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My Dimension XPS R400 is approaching 6 years of age and I'm thinking
> about replacing the battery now instead of waiting for it to die . . .
>
> Will the BIOS lose its settings when I pop out the old battery to
> replace it with the new one or will it retain the settings?
>
> If I need to record the BIOS settings before I pop out the old
> battery, what is the easiest way to do it?
>
> Thanks!
>

> George
> gearlnospamno@nospamcomcast.net

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:15:41 -0500, "Jim Craig"
<jgcraig@nospam.bigfoot.com> wrote:

>If you have a digital camera, you can photograph the screen (s) to record
>the settings.
>
>Jim

Damn. I never cease to be amazed at the versatility of digital cameras
and the ingenuity of the people who use them . . . thanks for the
great idea!