Replacing Pentium in Lenovo 3000 H210

Trevinator110

Reputable
May 23, 2015
Hey so I just upgrade to a new custom built PC so im not counting on the question im about to ask to be something of great importance. I have an old Lenovo 3000 H210, with a Pentium Dual Core E2220 in it and its a pretty slow computer nowadays. I looked inside it to see if I could gut it with new parts for a back up computer and found too many issues than i'd like to deal with. One thing I have noticed though is that the Pentium inside has a LGA 775 socket. I did some research and found the Core 2 QX6700 has the same socket type, and I can buy for about 30-50 on Amazon. Now would it be possible to swap the Pentium inside the computer for a Core 2 QX6700? Here are my reservations that you might be able to answer. Power consumption, the core 2 has a 130 watt TDP versus the Pentiums 65 watts. I do not know how large the power supply is yet (Doesnt say on the side and also cant find on internet yet.). Motherboard problems, would the motherboard be able to handle a quad instead of a dual even if its the same socket? Does lenovo limit the power delivery to the CPU socket specifically for the 65 watt TDP? Cooling, i'd have to figure a way to get a super cheap air cooler that'll fit and if the prebuilt PSU even has expandable power for one. Finally is this even possible? I mean is my pentium locked into the computer by lenovo? Can it actually be taken out of the LGA 775 socket? Again this would be just a fun project if it is possible and if its cheap enough to do so. If it isnt then I really could care less XD Thanks!

Solution
It's a desktop, in most of those the CPU is not locked to the motherboard. About using a higher wattage CPU, that will likely be the biggest issue, if you want to try an upgrade I would stick with the same wattage CPUs, and make sure you do a BIOS update.
It's a desktop, in most of those the CPU is not locked to the motherboard. About using a higher wattage CPU, that will likely be the biggest issue, if you want to try an upgrade I would stick with the same wattage CPUs, and make sure you do a BIOS update.

Solution