Replacing Power Jack on a laptop HELP

kiicki

Reputable
Sep 1, 2014
So my friend got a Samsung np370r5e, and his Power Jack pin broke, so he needs to get a new one. The part only cost like 5 dollars, and if he sends it in, it will cost him 400 dollars.
So we want to fix it ourself.

The problem is I have seen people soldering. I don't even know what that is, or if it's necessary.
They do something about the pins, and I don't understand why that would be a problem.

Can't I just remove the motherboard, take of the power jack and replace it with a new one?
If I have to soldier it, then he might just pay the 400 dollars to fix the power jack.

This is the tutorial I have seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2bytrmqMgs

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i did this once years ago and though it worked, it was buggy and caused all kinds of problems. i ended up taking it to a friend of mine to do it right. he did the soldering much better than me and it would still cause issues. if the power cord was not just right or moving the laptop with it plugged in would often cause it to lose connection and a couple of times it even shut down the system.

if you are not sure, then this is one of those times to get a pro to do it. maybe an electronics teacher at school or some kind of local tech school would have a qualified yet cheaper option

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
another option would be to look for a broken version of that laptop. might find one on ebay or something with a broken screen. all you want is the motherboard so a broken screen does not matter. it would be much easier to swap out the mobo yourself and you might get lucky and find a real cheap "broken" laptop to use for parts.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
it's about supply and demand!! think about this, i charge $250 (MUCH less than the national companies) to complete tax returns for folks. for most people it takes me less than 20 minutes. but since i have a skill the average person does not seem to have (really the math is like 3rd grade level) i can charge a lot to do it. h&r block and such charge like $350 for a basic return and closer to $1000 for investments and such if you have them