Question Replacing power supply after electrical pop

Apr 21, 2019
Was on my computer playing games when it just shutdown. When i went to restart it nothing happened. After i pressed the startup button a few times i heard a electrical pop followed by a burning smell from the computer. Inside the computer i can see that it is getting electricity because a few lights are on on the motherboard. Does that mean it was the PSU that "popped".

The PSU is a Corsair CX 750

AllanGH

Notable
Mar 10, 2019
Hmmm...well, it does sound like a PSU failure, but I definitely would look over the GPU and motherboard meticulously to see if you have damaged / exploded VRMs or caps.

If you sniff the PSU and find the explodey smell is stronger in there, I recommend a new PSU.

Last edited:

AllanGH

Notable
Mar 10, 2019
The tried and true method of strategically substituting in known-good components.....one at a time....after you verify proper power supply, of course.

Sometimes troubleshooting does degenerate to that level.

Reactions: David836193
Apr 21, 2019
The tried and true method of strategically substituting in known-good components.....one at a time....after you verify proper power supply, of course.

Sometimes troubleshooting does degenerate to that level.
Bought a new PSU and now its working again. Thank you for the help.

AllanGH

Notable
Mar 10, 2019
Sampling a manufacturers low-end quality line doesn't say much about the quality of their mid to upper range product line; which, in the case of Corsair, happens to be a set of solid performers.