Replacing prebuilt computers cpu cooler

Nollibol

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
So, i have this computer: https://www.elgiganten.se/product/datorer-tillbehor/stationar-dator/ACDGE0FEQ017/acer-aspire-gx-281-stationar-dator-gaming
and i just bought the deepcool maelstrom 120 liquid cpu cooler. (i have ordered an am4 kit so that it will fit on my ryzen 5 1600) However i watched a video of how to attach the cooler, and i realised that u had to attach a backplate for the cpu cooler. There is no easy acces to the back of the motherboard in this case, so does that mean i have to screw loose the entire motherboard? Or can i maybe use the same backplate as with the cooler already attached? I would be happy for any help!

Solution
On some cases both of the side covers are removable and you will find a hole to give access to the backplate. I sounds like you checked this, but I just wanted to be sure. Looking at reviews of the cooler, it looks like it will not work with stock backplates, so you will likely need to remove the MB from the case. Stock backplates normally have holes for screws to go into them. The deepcool backplate has screws coming out of it.
On some cases both of the side covers are removable and you will find a hole to give access to the backplate. I sounds like you checked this, but I just wanted to be sure. Looking at reviews of the cooler, it looks like it will not work with stock backplates, so you will likely need to remove the MB from the case. Stock backplates normally have holes for screws to go into them. The deepcool backplate has screws coming out of it.

Solution
Does the maelstrom 120 use AMD's stock backplate? Should be mentioned in AM4 kit or Deepcool's instructions. If it does, and your PC uses AMD's standard Ryzen cooler, you could be in luck. However, if either one is different from stock AMD backplate, you'll need to remove motherboard.

Nollibol

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

No, the case does sadly not have a removable backside. I have never assembled a pc or anything like that but i guess i will get to try now! Thanks for the help!

Nollibol

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

well, my pc doesn't use the stock amd cooler, so i guess this is pretty unlikely then. I couldn't find if the 120 uses the stock backplate anywhere either. I suppose i will have to screw the MB out. Thanks for the help!

Go slow. Be organized (a couple bowls for screws helps). Take pictures, especially where things plug in. If 3 plugs all look the same, label them. Many plugs will have a locking clip, so watch for that. Be aware of static electricity. Don't work on carpet.

Nollibol

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

Thanks for the tips, btw will i need a free "fan spot" or what ever you call it, for the radiator on the cooler, or can i use JUST the fan in the radiator for the entire case? Im not sure how it works. Im asking because i only have one fan slot and there is already a fan there.

Most motherboards will have at least 2 fan headers. One for the CPU fan and one for the system (or case) fan. It seems that deepcool suggests connecting the pump to the CPU fan header and the radiator fan to the system header. I personally would like one more fan bringing cool air into the case, so you may need a a Y cable. There might be one included in the kit. You can also use a molex (the old style 4 pin hard drive plugs) to fan adapter.

Nollibol

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017

What i mean was that there is only ROOM for a single fan in the case, so i hope that that still works.