Apr 23, 2019
Hi guys! I have a question regarding PSU fan replacement;
I have a ZALMAN ZM700-LX PSU (http://www.zalman.com/contents/products/view.html?no=83 ) , just over 3 years old.
Few days ago PSU started making a loud noise, so after opening it i figured it was a fan. I cleaned the PSU and lubed up the fan, so i solved the problem for the time being,
but i guess it won't last for long, and definitely fan should be replaced. Since the PSU is relatively new and it isn't showing any signs of malfunction , i wouldn't want to replace PSU itself, but just the installed fan.
The installed fan is Yuet Loon D14SH-12 (140 mm fan) (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Tai...SH-12-0-7A-14025-chassis-power/930499917.html ) , but the issue is,
i checked all the local stores in my city and they don't have any items from that manufacturer (Yuet Loon), and i don't feel comfortable waiting 21+ days (usually well over a month) for delivery to my country, because i want to change
the fan asap, before it fails again.

So i have 2 questions:
1.) can i install other 140mm case fan in that PSU ? I guess by specs, this particular fan is 12V 0.70A fan, with a speed of 2300 rpm.
I found 140mm x 25 mm fans but they are 1000 / 1200 rpm 12V fans , so i'm not sure if they are sufficient for that PSU or do i have to wait for that Yuet Loon (original) fan ?
2.) most fans are 3/4 pin fans, so when i want to install them into 2 pin PSU, what should i do with 3rd cable from new fan ?

Thanks!

Zephyl

Commendable
Mar 13, 2017
I suppose you might be able to replace the fan with one of the same size, but I have never done it for a few reasons:
First, if the fan is failing, it´s a sign your PSU is getting old and should probably be replaced.
Second, most PSUs have labels on the outside that say something along the lines of, "INSIDE COMPONENTS ARE NOT SERVICEABLE." They put that there for good reason.
Third, there's a good chance the fan's wires are soldered to the PSU somewhere, making replacement more difficult and dangerous.

It may be possible to go in and replace it, but I would recommend simply replacing the PSU entirely.