[SOLVED] Replacing PSU fan

Aug 6, 2021
Hi all,

I do have a Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold power supply in which the fan starting making noise.

Since I just wanted to fix the issue quickly myself I ordered a new fan to replace the current one.
Unfortunately, when connected, the new fan won't start spinning, does anyone have a suggestion on what I did wrong?

Original fan: 12V 0.36A with a 2 pin connector.
New fan: 12V 0.11A with a 4 pin connector. Noctua NF-9Ax14 PWM

I did cut of the 4 pin connector and connected black to black and yellow to red.

Is the issue the lower amps on the Noctua fan? From what I found so far on the internet, it seems that a fan with lower amperage should be working just fine.

Noctua wiring
Old fan
New fan

I am aware of the risks associated with working on an open power supply, even though I am asking a basic question here, I am familiar with the safety precautions that have to be taken.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The fans are not the same, that's the mistake you did. Also, the fans that are in a PSU have 2 wires, meaning that they are voltage dependent, not PWM. You either need the same fan or source a fan from a dead PSU of the same make and model. FYI, if you go through some threads(www) about people changing their fans for quieter fans, they needed to find a very specific fan, one that didn't behave oddly with the higher the temps went on the PSU's internals and one that didn't behave odd at lower voltages(case in point, the ST45SF/ST45SF-G PSU's from Silverstone back a decade ago).

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The fans are not the same, that's the mistake you did. Also, the fans that are in a PSU have 2 wires, meaning that they are voltage dependent, not PWM. You either need the same fan or source a fan from a dead PSU of the same make and model. FYI, if you go through some threads(www) about people changing their fans for quieter fans, they needed to find a very specific fan, one that didn't behave oddly with the higher the temps went on the PSU's internals and one that didn't behave odd at lower voltages(case in point, the ST45SF/ST45SF-G PSU's from Silverstone back a decade ago).

Solution