[SOLVED] Replacing psu question

May 12, 2020
My old psu was starting to make clicking noises from the fan, so I decided to replace it. Since I wasn’t confident, I got the same psu as before in make and model, though there are slight differences. The first one sent to me had its fan completely broken, so I sent it back.

Now I have the replacement and was checking it more carefully before I put it in my computer, when I noticed something. In my original psu there is white goo, which from my understanding is to insulate? This goo does not exist in the new psu.
The goo was covering green loops that are surrounded by copper coils, and the coils are quite close together, with one facing sideways.

Is the goo important to prevent something like arcing, or is it normal to not have any goo and I’m just overthinking things. Since I have not done this before I’m trying to be careful not to fry anything.

The psu is an Aerocool Intergrator 600w if it helps.

Solution
It depends on the design. That's usually silicone caulk.

The larger problem is that this just isn't a particularly good PSU to begin with. If this isn't an office rig or a light gaming rig, this is definitely not a PSU I'd choose. It's cheaply sourced, made, and configured, and not something I'd want to trust a >150W GPU with for years. If you survived Russian Roulette once, I'm not sure I'd have the appetite for a second go.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It depends on the design. That's usually silicone caulk.

The larger problem is that this just isn't a particularly good PSU to begin with. If this isn't an office rig or a light gaming rig, this is definitely not a PSU I'd choose. It's cheaply sourced, made, and configured, and not something I'd want to trust a >150W GPU with for years. If you survived Russian Roulette once, I'm not sure I'd have the appetite for a second go.

Solution
May 12, 2020
Thanks for the help.

I’m guessing with a gtx 1080, that psu isn’t a great idea then. Seems my pc’s manufacturer skimped out on the psu. It’s only 4 years old so I would like to run it a while longer, I suppose I’ll try to return this and find a better alternative that will fit my case. Do I need to worry about dust getting into sockets in the meantime? I don’t know whether to bother putting my original psu back in.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Thanks for the help.

I’m guessing with a gtx 1080, that psu isn’t a great idea then. Seems my pc’s manufacturer skimped out on the psu. It’s only 4 years old so I would like to run it a while longer, I suppose I’ll try to return this and find a better alternative that will fit my case. Do I need to worry about dust getting into sockets in the meantime? I don’t know whether to bother putting my original psu back in.

It's not so bad that it's probably dangerous, it's just not something I'd want to trust long-term. I wouldn't worry too much about dust in a short-term situation; without the fan flow, it's sucking in a lot less than it would normally.

May 12, 2020
Hmm, as long as it isn’t dangerous, I’m tempted to use it. Something else will probably break eventually anyway, and I’m reluctant to deal with returns a second time given the current world situation. If it lasts a year or two I’d be happy enough.

TRENDING THREADS