Replacing RAM module in a Dell Inspiron

karim434

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
Hello!

I am a complete novice with computer hardware issues and I need some advice.

I am about to throw out a very old laptop computer, which stopped working years ago. I once upgraded the RAM of the machine, and the modules, to my knowledge, still work fine.

I have another laptop computer of around the same age, which still works. I want to know whether or not I can/should switch a RAM module from the broken laptop to the working one.

The broken laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8500, and has two RAM modules described as: Kingston - Memory - 1 GB - SO DIMM 200-pin - DDR - 266 MHz / PC2100 - unbuffered.

The working laptop is a Dell Inspiron 700m, and has one RAM module described as: ProMOS V826632B24SATG-C0 (256MB DDR PC2700 333MHz 200-pin SO DIMM).

My questions are: (1) would one of the memory modules of the 8500 be compatible with the 700m; and (2) if so, would the performance of the 700m be improved by replacing its RAM module with one of the ones from the 8500?

Please let me know if I need to provide more information to get answers to these questions.

Thanks in advance,

Karim

Solution

Hello,

1) They both support the same memory type - DDR SODIMM, but different speeds. 266MHz and 333MHz.
2)So, installing the 266 MHz along with 333 MHz will default both to 266 MHz.

There will be a performance upgrade, but a slight lower speed compared to the 333 MHz operating frequency.

http://www.memorystock.com/memory/DellInspiron700m.html

Solution

karim434

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013

Thanks algorithmbreaker, that's really helpful. I also only just realised that the Dell Inspiron 700m also has two RAM modules, so I would of course replace both of them.

If I could ask another novice question, following on from what you have said... is it worthwhile replacing the 256 MB modules with the 1 GB modules? I do not really know which is more important when it comes to RAM: speed or size.

I only use the 700m for Microsoft Office and occasional Internet-browsing and, in spite of this, it is incredibly slow. Can you tell me whether changing the RAM would make the computer any faster at these kinds of tasks?

Hi,

Yes, worth of definite. I would suggest replacing the 256 MB's with the 1 GB's.