[SOLVED] Replacing/Rebuilding my Dell xps 9100

Aug 6, 2020
Hi there,

As the title suggests, I have an old Dell xps9100 which honestly has been a problem child since day one but that's another story. Over time, I've replaced components but I think I've hit the end of the runway with it and i'm looking for validation and advice.

Short story long, the motherboard has already been replaced once and now one of the series of 3 ram slots has failed. (So I only have 3 slots available for a max 12gigs.

I've replaced the CPU with a Xeon x5690 and the raid system failed so I have an EVO 860 SSD for boot combined with an HDD's and a number of external drives for storage. I also have an upgrated Corsair CX750 for power and was hoping to upgrade the original graphics card (AMD 5800 series) with a GeForce GTX 1660 or 1650 graphics card.

I'm running windows 10 and my graphics needs are substantial as a filmmaker, photographer and gamer.

As mentioned, I was going to do that graphic card update but now that the RAM slots fail i'm questioning that choice. I could probably try to source another refurb motherboard and get another few years out of this system but, is it wise? I know there are no straight MOBO upgrades for this Dell case/wiring nonsense but is there a case/MOBO combo that would accommodate the components I have?

The current system is as follows with the added components mentioned above:

ATX
AMD 785G chipset
LGA1366 Socket processor socket
Corei7
Max 24GB DDR3 SDRam
ATX 05DN3X

Help me fix this mess pls!

Solution
The thing is, of the components you have, not much would transition. The RAM is all DDR3, all the new platforms use DDR4. The CPU and MOBO wont transfer. So you are left with your GPU and Storage. Any other cards you might have.

I'm not totally up to date on what's what. I haven't built a new PC in a few years. So there's room for more input/tweaking. This would be a solid core, I think. You could just get 16GB now to save a few bucks. With the 2600 you do want the higher speed 3000MHz. I would honestly spend more on the power supply. Get something really good that you can take from system to system. If the CPU is the brain of the PC then the PSU is the heart. You want a strong reliable heart. It's dependent on you bringing your GPU...
Aug 23, 2016
pcpartpicker.com
I don't get it either, if your gonna invest that much don't put it in a junk dell lol...I have a serious issue with dell ripping people off and intentionally sending out bad BIOS updates, particularly on tablets.

I don't do dHell...my suggestion is you fix the mess by finishing a real rig.

I tossed a nice XPS in a dumpster because it needed the cheap widget screen on front replaced and wouldn't boot...I refused to buy the single part. Gutted it instead and put it in an HP I had lol.

Want help losing the dell entirely, you can PM me and i'll give you step by step instructions on everything you don't know yourself just too see one less of their rips cough rigs on the planet lol.

Jmi20

Prominent
Jun 5, 2020
Are you sure your specs are correct? You listed the chipset as an AMD 785G which is an AM2 (i think) socket and wouldn’t fit an intel cpu...

But anyway, doesn’t matter.

Firstly, you said that the RAM slots failed. Did you first check if the sticks are connected properly? Are the contacts clean? Perhaps the memory module itself is at fault?

Second, you ask what case/mobo would fit the components you have.

Just a general answer, any ATX mid tower case would fit your PSU and GPU. Any ATX case would be compatible with an ATX, mATX, or ITX board.

The real question is what combination of components would fit your budget for a new build. Please provide what budget you have, so maybe somebody could suggest a build for you.

Reactions: TeeSchneider
What's your budget?

Frankly a 1366 socket isn't something worth upgrading unless you can source parts for free. I speak from the perspective of a person who has one. I was thinking about putting a used 980x in there for awhile but decided it's good enough for what I use it for and it would be more cost effective to just build a new PC.

Another option would be to pursue the office refurb market. There are a ton of PCs that people use for a few years in an office setting then toss out, which refurb companies pick up for next to nothing, refurb and sell for a fraction of their "new" cost. For your purpose that could be a good way to get on to a new platform for relatively cheap. Newegg is a great source for those types of computers.

I think it's time to transition from an upgrader, which it sounds like you've done a pretty good job at over the years, to a builder. You'll be quite surprised how much better even a budget oriented PC with modern parts is compared to a system with top of the line parts from 2011.

Aug 6, 2020
Ok looking again, chipset is actually Intel X58. Re: the RAM yes, tried the ram in all possible configs. I had initially upgraded to 16 gigs but now am left with two working sticks of 4gb, 2 damaged sticks, 3 ports that are working (blue) and 3 that are not (red). I would not know how to determine memory module. RE: budget....ha. I am trying to upgrade my film rig to 4k and was not planning on buying a new pc...but I do need it to work for editing...and gaming obvs ;) As little as possible a good result that is upgradable over time? I'd like to keep the newer components.

The thing is, of the components you have, not much would transition. The RAM is all DDR3, all the new platforms use DDR4. The CPU and MOBO wont transfer. So you are left with your GPU and Storage. Any other cards you might have.

I'm not totally up to date on what's what. I haven't built a new PC in a few years. So there's room for more input/tweaking. This would be a solid core, I think. You could just get 16GB now to save a few bucks. With the 2600 you do want the higher speed 3000MHz. I would honestly spend more on the power supply. Get something really good that you can take from system to system. If the CPU is the brain of the PC then the PSU is the heart. You want a strong reliable heart. It's dependent on you bringing your GPU and storage from your old system.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.03 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($94.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $555.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-06 16:11 EDT-0400

Solution