[SOLVED] Replacing router to lower ping?

matty.kemp

Honorable
Aug 3, 2018
I have a stock router in the uk, i believe from technicolor, i use my pc through a powerline adapter as i live 2 floors up. If i replace/upgrade my router will this still help lower my ping? and will it help lower my ping to servers in north america, if so does anyone have any affordable recommendations, thanks :)

Solution
I have a stock router in the uk, i believe from technicolor, i use my pc through a powerline adapter as i live 2 floors up. If i replace/upgrade my router will this still help lower my ping? and will it help lower my ping to servers in north america, if so does anyone have any affordable recommendations, thanks :)
No.
The only influence over "ping" that you have is what happens inside your house.
PC -> powerline -> router....
Anything outboard from that...you cannot fix or change.

You're in the UK...connecting a server in north America...the ping WILL be much higher than connecting to a sever in the UK.

USAFRet

Titan
No.
The only influence over "ping" that you have is what happens inside your house.
PC -> powerline -> router....
Anything outboard from that...you cannot fix or change.

You're in the UK...connecting a server in north America...the ping WILL be much higher than connecting to a sever in the UK.

Solution
When you find the magic router that can send traffic faster than the speed of light let me know :)

Unless the equipment in your house is defective it will add almost nothing to the total latency. Maybe 2-3ms at the most, sometime a bit more for people using wifi.

Almost all the latency is due to the time it takes for light to travel that distance. There is also some overhead as stuff is converted from copper to fiber and all the laser amplifiers in the undersea cable.

I guess ping your router IP and see the latency the powerline is adding. I bet it is under 5ms and I guess it depends on if you want to pay to run a ethernet cable to get rid of that small amount.

TRENDING THREADS